A History Lesson

"Two weeks! My dress hasn't even been finished yet!" Mercedes groans as Serenity picks at her school lunch.

"Really? I thought your mother would be on top of things."

"She was and then she got so busy. Everyone did. It's like since last week everything blew up." Des sighs.

"Yeah, blew up," she trails off. Everything had been off since her last encounter meant with Liam. He's not exactly avoiding her, but he's not exactly kidnapping her and keeping her all to himself either.

She didn't know where they stood. He was being super weird and distant again, but not towards the pack. Just towards her. Things moved along quite well actually. With Liam and the pack.

Des also actually. She had stopped avoiding Serenity, and things seem to have gone back to normal. Or as normal as things could get for a couple of werewolf teenagers.

The bell rang signaling the end of lunch and Des groaned yet again, "history with Mr. Edward. Brutal."

The two stood up and went to go throw away their trash.

"I heard the lesson is at least a bit interesting," she continued talking, "a few of the girls in my last class were talking about it because it relates to the ball. Something about an urban legend on a girl who went missing about two decades ago."

The two walk out of the cafeteria shoulder to shoulder, "an urban legend? For werewolf history?" Serenity asks her friend.

Des shrugs, "no clue. Although the girls in my fourth period are kind of up there sometimes."

Serenity laughs, "up there meaning she's an absolute airhead."

"I can't even defend her there." She facepalms.

Together they walk into the classroom and take a seat in the middle row. This was one of the few classes they had together. It would be another minute before their teacher walks into the classroom.

"Good afternoon class!" Mr. Edwards walks in speaking in his ever so enthusiastic voice. The portly man always seemed to be in a great mood right after lunch.

"Today we're going to venture off on a different topic. Since we don't have school next week and seeing as so many of you have already check out being overwhelmed with ball preparations," he paused to let everyone get a word in about the ball.

The girls gasped and squealed about their dresses and dates. While the guys sighed about the girls making a fuss about the whole thing.

Serenity looked around as they did so. She had nothing to say. After all, she didn't have a dress or a date. There was nothing to say about the matter seeing as she was probably working the whole event, so there was no need for a dress or a date.

"Okay, okay, quite now. You do probably want to have a pen and paper out to take notes. There will be a quiz on Friday over the topic." He clapped his hands as everyone groaned as they shuffled to get out the proper materials to take notes.

"Can someone tell me the origins behind February the 14th?"

Serenity looked around waiting for someone to raise their hand and answer the question. When no one did she raised hers.

"Ah yes, Serenity, go ahead."

"It is the humans holiday of love," she paused. Mr. Edwards prepared himself to tell the omega she wasn't exactly correct, but then she continued, "this event was started by the Romans in the third century A.D. when Emperor Claudius II executed two men — both named Valentine — on Feb. 14 of different years in the 3rd century A.D. Their martyrdom was honored by the Catholic Church with the celebration of St. Valentine's Day."