The Romantic part

Serenity sat at her usual spot in Liam's office. To of which she looked up from her current read and looked over to Liam whose nose was deep in paperwork. She had noticed how he had been unusually busy these last few days.

With admitting new pack members, making sure all the training structures were built and on time, and dealing with Kensley's trip, he was swamped. Serenity could tell this but had no idea how to help him.

Standing up with a sigh she walks out of the room.

Downstairs the packhouse is booming with life. Old and new faces were everywhere. As people moved in they stayed at the packhouse for a week or two until they got settles and found a house in the pack.

"Serenity! Hey, Hey!" Mercedes ran up to her friend.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Nothing much. Making new friends and all. Also, gotta thank your loverboy for canceling school for the rest of the week."

Serenity rolls her eyes, "You mentioned making new friends? Does this mean you're replacing me?"

"Never that, but," Mercedes grabs the girl's arm that was standing behind her. She pulls her forward, "this is Amelie. She's new here. Her family came in with the last bunch of people coming here from the Prowlers pack."

The girl shyly waved at Serenity.

"Oh hello. Nice to meet you!" She gives Amelie a sweet smile and a little wave combo.

"Serenity, Alpha Liam's mate?" Amelie points at Serenity.

The air stiffened.

Mercedes nervously laughs, "Amelie is a bit old school, but we're not supposed to talk about what Liam and she are. It's like a forbidden unspoken truth."

Serenity nervously scratches the back of her head, "yeah what she said. We're-" she stopped talking. Honestly, she didn't know what they were, "erm Mercedes can I talk to you in the kitchen, alone please?"

Amelie taking a hint dismissed herself while the two friends went inside the kitchen.

"Serenity that was a bit rude. We're supposed to be making the newbies feel welcomed."

Groaning, "Mates? Mercedes she asked if I was the alpha's mate!" Serenity throws her hands up in exasperation. 

"Mates don't even exist anymore. It was an honest mistake. Amelie's pack was old school and believe in that stuff still." 

Serenity shakes her head, "that's not the problem."

"Then what is? I am a bit confused here."

"Liam and I. What are we? I know the full truth about him. He shares his secrets with me. I share my secrets with him, well what little secrets I have with no memory. We should be one, but there's something missing."

Mercedes walks up to her friend and grabs her by the shoulders, "Yall were made to be! If mates still did exist you two would be without doubt mates and do you know what that means?"

Serenity shook her head.

"You and he were made for each other! Made for each other," she emphasizes the last four words.

"But mates don't exist also we weren't made for each other. Right now we are choosing to go through life by each other side purely through free will."

Her friend sighs and drops her hands off of her shoulders, "you just proved my own point. You two are choosing to be by each other side. It's not a mate bond or an external force, it is you and him choosing to stay by each other sides."