Legend Carter

𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝟏- 𝐏𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐏𝐭 𝟐

Two days later....

Mercedes gets out of the Lincoln pulled up in front Empire.

Bag over her shoulder, a pair of leggings and heels. Wearing a deep blue off the shoulders loose crop top to show her perked chest and flat stomach

Her hair straightened out; she added in extensions that brought it close enough to her waist in curls.

"Enjoy your day, Ms. Lyon."

"Thanks, Cole." Mercedes smiles at the older gentleman.

A tilt of his hat as he takes his leave.

She had been busy for the past two days with getting ready for Empire's club opening soon. Anika and her father made it clear they needed her and Hakeem to perform that night. Mercedes mentioned Jamal too but of course her father chose to exclude him out. As much as she wanted to argue, she didn't have it in her to get on Lucious about his phobia issues when it came to Jamal. A constant battle of words she would never win. It went in one ear of her father and out the other. A war she was sick of.

Mercedes walks to the Empire building.

Instead of her evening rehearsal she had been working early morning for these days.

Hard work didn't stop, she needed to be ready and focused. Especially with Lucious Lyon over her shoulder every five seconds about something.

Searching a bag for her keys, Mercedes stops at the steps.

"Mariah." Her name falling smooth from a voice behind her.

Brows knotting together, Mercedes whirls around to the owner of that familiar voice. The face she had came to see—one she had not been prepared to look at for a long time.

That familiar eagle tattoo across his neck that she knew belonged to one Cartel in particular. Showing from his fitted black shirt that hides the rest, the shirt and other tattoos covered by a black bomber jacket. Hair cut low and a silver chain to hang around his neck.

Calm and settling eyes and light skin. The pride of Mexico exposed by a few patches stitched on his jacket sleeve.

In two years nothing had changed about him or his looks. Same cold eyes that put anyone on notice and his facial hair still showing although he kept it cut very low. It was a good look on him if she wanted to be honest. Cut and clean, more toned in muscles, but the rest of him....like he never left.

Mercedes eyes the man like she'd seen a ghost. The ghost from a past she didn't want to dare step back in.

"What? You not happy to see me." Hands inside his jacket, he takes his time walking towards her.

Mercedes eyes shoot around to be sure nobody that she knew personally was outside of Empire. Of all places for him to come to, this should have been the absolute last one.

"Or you just didn't think you would see me again Mariah?" Stopping, dark brown eyes flicker down as he towered over her. "Which one is it?"

Not many could get away with calling out her real name, but he did. Never once did he call her Mercedes and she knew he never would address her by it.

"What are you doing here?" Mercedes looks up, trying to put a little distance between them. "I thought you were still locked up."

"Called doing your time." He smirks. Mercedes eyes him not buying that. "Can't hold the past against someone. Especially against an innocent person."