Whats Getting Into Her?

Episode 3- The Devil Quotes Scriptures

Mercedes walked inside of Empire.

Jamal sees her and stops. "Where the hell you been?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

Jamal hugged her in relief, he pulls back. "Look at me. You good?"

"I'm okay," Mercedes smiles at her brother checking her over. "Mal. I'm okay, I promise."

"You walked out during the performance and then send me an 'I'm okay' text." Jamal gives her a look. "What you expect me to think?"

"I just had to go."

"Yeah, Keem told me what happened." Jamal brow raised. "Legend Carter."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"That's who you were with." Jamal nods.

"How do you know?"

"You still smiling." He points out to her eye roll. "Im not the brother to tell you how to live and you know that."

Mercedes sighs. "But."

"That guy dangerous as hell." Jamal says, Mercedes looks off. "I'm not saying whatever dad said to you is right but I know he just worried. In his own controlling ass way."

"He can be worried, but he does not have any right to make it seem like I don't know how to make smart decisions." Mercedes says. "Me and Legend aren't even together."

"But you were?"

"Yeah, but that was way back, Mal." Mercedes waves it off. "He was a friend before anything and I don't feel like I should be afraid to hang around him."

"You do know what he used to do?"

"I figured it out later." Mercedes shrugs. "He doesn't do that anymore." Jamal raised a brow. "Im not saying he's perfect but he has changed. Lucious Lyon damn sure isn't no Angel sitting at Gods gates up there and you know that." Jamal nods agreeing. "I can judge Legend on my own just fine. If I feel any damage coming I will back off but I am grown and he can't tell me what or who I'm going to be around."

Jamal smiles. "You going to tell him that?"

"To his face when I see him."

Jamal nods. "I just want you safe, Riah. You know that."

"I know it's hard to believe, but your little sister knows how to protect herself." Mercedes tells him. "I wouldn't be around Legend if I thought I would be hurt by him."