Buy A Heart

Episode 4- False Imposition

Mercedes got the text and started to make her way out of Empire. A person waved her down making her stop.

"Can I help you?" She watched the older man in a suit walk up to her.

"Ms. Lyon, I'm detective, Walker." He stuck out his hand. "The one working on your uncle Bunkie's case."

"Oh!" Mercedes shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were the one."

"No, no, it's fine." He waves it off. "Are you on your way out?"

"Yes, I have to travel to Philly. I only came by to grab something." Mercedes waves her song book. "I didn't think you would be here."

"I just came by to ask some questions." Detective Walker says. "Speaking of, were you home the day your uncle was killed?"

Mercedes gives him a look but nods slow. "I was. Why?"

"You recall your father and brother being home with you that night?"

Mercedes nods. "Yes." A fold of her arms. "Again I ask. Why?"

"Just standard questions."

"Standard questions is asking me about my uncle and who he talked to. The questions you just asked me is as if somebody in my family is a suspect." Mercedes eyes him. "Or I am."

"You are nowhere on my list."

"But somebody is." Mercedes noticed he didn't answer what she said earlier. "Why'd you ask me about my brother and father?"

"More so your father." Detective Walker says getting a glare for this. "We just have to check all our boxes and rule out family. I expect you all would know that."

Mercedes nods. "And somehow out of everybody, you picked Lucious Lyon."

"He was the closest to Bunkie."

"Mmm." Mercedes hums. "Well sorry I can't help you any further."

"No you helped just fine." He says. "Just one more thing, did you stay up all night or remember the time you fell asleep?"

Mercedes gave him a sly smile. "Can't say I do, no." Detective Walker saw her catching on. "I guess you should stick with whatever my father told you."

"Well when your brother Andre jumped in, neither mentioned you being in the house."

Mercedes simply shrugs. "You didn't ask them about me."

"Funny how they forgot to say you were."

"Funny how you never thought to say my name either but were smart enough to come and ask me yourself." Mercedes says. "Expecting me to say different than what either of them told you. Am I right?"