Part 36: Baby?!

*Daryl's POV*

    I look up to see Carol walking over probably to pester me again.

    "You didn't come for dinner. Probably concerned Hay, along with Lori missing." Carol said. I roll my eyes.

    "Hayley knows where I am. Why y'all worry about her so much like I ain't got her and her sister. I appreciate y'all looking after them when it's needed, but y'all seem to forget I'm their dad, I don't need to be told how to parent my kids. Hayley understands I want to be left alone right now. Something you people can't comprehend."

    "I wasn't saying you didn't have it , I was just saying with everything going on and even if Hayley understands you want to be left alone, maybe that's not what she wants."

    "What are you saying."

    "Well, I could only imagine all the things inside her head that she hasn't said, cause she didn't want to burden you or someone else. I can see it when I look at her, she's got a lot going on inside that head of hers. I mean beside you I think the only person she is close enough to open up to is Carl. And I don't think she will even with him."

    "She can come talk to me, what makes you think she won't."

    "I mean if I were her, and my father tried to make himself as closed off and snappy as you are; I probably wouldn't feel like I could go to him with everything that's on my mind. And just because she's your daughter doesn't mean she can't worry about you, like you do about her. It's a two way street Daryl trust me. Clearly you're struggling with yourself and she sees that." She says. I just huff and focus back on the squirrel I was skinning, knowing she was right.

    She just stood there watching me.

    "What are you doing?" I ask her.

    "Keeping an eye on you." She replies. I scoff.

    "Ain't you a peach?" I say sarcastically.

    "I'm not gonna let you pull away. You've earned your place." I roll my eyes again.

    "If you spent half your time minding your daughter's business instead of sticking your nose in everybody else's, she'd still be alive!" I snap. Pulling her away from the tent that Hayley is sleeping in. To keep from waking her.

    "Go ahead." She says looking in my eyes.

    "Go ahead and what? I mean just go! I don't want you here!" I point behind her at the house. "You're a real piece of work, lady. What, are you gonna make this about my daddy or some crap like that? Pfft! Man, you know Jack. You're afraid. You're afraid 'cause you're all alone. You got no husband, no daughter. You don't know what to do with yourself. You ain't my problem! Sophia wasn't mine! I have two daughters of my own to care for. All you had to do was keep an eye on her!"

    She gets upset and walks away. Did I go a little far, maybe. But they just won't leave me alone about my daughters like I don't know the two of them better than them all. Being with this entire group, isn't me hasn't been from the beginning, but it's what's best for my girls so with them I'll stay.

*Hayley's POV*

    I was laying in the tent trying to fall asleep, but I couldn't, when I heard part of Carol and daddy's conversation. Up to the point where he pulled her away.

Eventually daddy comes back over and sits at the fire he has built. I decide to stand up and go out of the tent.

"Hey Hay. Thought you were sleeping." He said looking up at me for a moment. "You hear what Carol was talking about?"