Part 18: Leaving Camp

*Hayley's POV*

    So daddy said Rick decided we were all gonna go to the CDC, so that maybe we could find some help for Jim, and that everyone agreed to his plan.

    Daddy also explained to me that they weren't able to find uncle Merle. I was really sad when he told me. But, I didn't cry cause I remembered again what uncle Merle always told me. 'Dixon's never cry'.

The adults were currently talking about seating arrangements.

I was gonna be riding with daddy in his truck, Shane and T-dog were riding in Shane's jeep.

Rick, Lori, Carol, Carl, Sophia, and Maddie were gonna ride in Carol's Car. Cause there wasn't much room in daddy's truck for Maddie's seat Glenn brought back for her from a run one day. Everyone else is riding in the RV.

Right now everyone is getting ready to leave.
I was helping Carol, Sophia, and Jacqui pack the food and other supplies for us. Daddy was sitting down feeding Maddie some applesauce.

It was going okay, until we all heard a low growling sound. I don't know what it is until I look over at Andrea, and realize Amy has reanimating.

Carol pulls me and Sophia into her arms trying to keep us from looking. But, I look anyway. I would cry, but I've already cried as much as I could cry over Amy's death last night.

"Amy." Andrea says to her reanimated sister, caressing her cheek. "Amy I'm sorry."

Walker Amy reaches up and caresses Andreas face. Then roughly grabs her hair. I whimper, and I feel someone grab my shoulder. I jump, but then turn around to realize it was just daddy. He started pulling me over to him with one arm, while he had Maddie in his other one. I hug him from the side.

Amy starts pulling Andrea towards her, and I get afraid that she will let Amy take a bite. I look up at daddy.

"Daddy?!" I whispered, hoping he'd do something. He just tries to get me to hide my face in his shirt, I only hide it half way, but I still look.

"I'm sorry for not ever being there. I always thought there'd be more time." Andrea apologizes, with Amy still gripping her hair. And is growling.

"I'm here now, Amy. I'm here." Andrea says. As, I see Shane and Rick start to walk forward with their guns drawn. "I love you." Andrea tells Dead Amy, then puts her head to Amy's.

Then, I hear a loud gunshot. It makes me jump, and Maddie starts to whine. Daddy starts bouncing her, trying to calm her. I bury my face into daddy's shirt not wanting to look anymore. He hugs my shoulders, telling me it's okay.

I take in daddy's smell. He smells like the woods, sweat, smoke, a little gasoline, and strangely something sweet, maybe like pancakes. I was very familiar with it and it seemed to calm me when I'm scared. I'm not sure why, I guess it just lets me know he's here to protect me like he always promises he will be.

I hangout with daddy and Maddie for a while. Maddie was sitting in front of me playing with one of Carl's old comic books. I probably should take it away from her, oh well. I'm drawing a picture of Maddie, daddy and I.

"Come on, it's time for the funerals." Daddy tells me, coming back from talking to some adults. He picks up Maddie, taking away the book and tossing it in a nearby chair.