Part 8: Rick

I'm sitting with Lori, Carl, and Shane with Maddie sitting right beside his chair. I'm seated on a tire right by Lori and Carl. Lori is cutting Carl's hair. It's funny cause he keeps squirming around. I'm drawing a picture for daddy when he gets home, while watching Lori and Carl too. He still hasn't got home yet.

    "Baby, the more you fidget, the longer it takes, so don't, okay." Lori orders Carl tired of his squirming. Aw man, that was the funny part.

    "I'm trying." Carl whines.

    "Well try harder." She says to him. He looks over at me.

    "How come Hayley don't have to have her hair cut." He complains. I giggle.

    "Because, she's a girl. And, plus she ain't my kid. I can't just cut her hair," Lori explains then looks to me," If it were up to me though, I'd trim it a little bit."

    Never. I hate haircuts. Probably for the same reason as Carl. I hate not being able to move around, and sitting in the same spot for hours.

    I look over at Shane, who is cleaning his shotgun, and watching Lori and Carl. I look over to Maddie, who is playing with a plastic cup, Shane gave her to play with. She's talking to herself too.

    I'm still mad at Shane, for what he said about  the group in the city. Uncle Merle would never leave me, he will come back. He said he would.

    "If you think this is bad, wait till you start shaving. That stings. That day comes, you'll be wishing for one of your mama's haircuts." Shane says to Carl smiling.

    "I'll believe it when I see it." Carl replies. Shane chuckles, and I shake my head grinning, looking back down to my drawing.

    "What are you grinning at Hayley?" Carl asks me sounding offended, but by the look on his face I can tell he's joking.

    "Nothin'." I say laughing a little. I look over my shoulder up the hill and see Sophia sitting with her mama and Dad. I smile and wave. She waves back, and she looks like she wants to come down here with me and Carl. But, maybe she's in trouble or something and can't, but what would Sophia do to get in trouble. I go back to my drawing.

    "I'll tell you what- you get through this with some manly dignity and tomorrow I'll teach you something special. I'll teach you to catch frogs." Shane says to Carl. I just roll my eyes.

    "I've caught a frog before." Carl argues.

    "I said frogs, plural. And it's an art, my friend. It is not to be taken lightly. There are ways and means. Few people know about it I'm willing to share my secrets."

    "Why do we need frogs, plural?"

    "You ever eat frog legs?"

    "Eww!" Carl yells in disgust. Frog legs ain't that bad.

    "No, yum!" Shane says defending frog legs.

    "No, he's right. Eww." Lori says agreeing with Carl.

    "When you get down to that last can of beans, your gonna be loving those frog legs, lady. I can see it now, Uh, Shane, do you think I can have a second helping, please? Please? Just one?" Shane says poorly imitating Lori's voice. Which makes me, and Carl laugh, despite the fact that I'm angry with him.

    "Yeah, I doubt that." Lori responds chuckling a little. Shane chuckles too. Then looks over at me.

    "How about you, Miss Hayley? You like frog legs? I know with a redneck daddy like yours you've had to of tried them before." He asks, trying to include me I guess. I look over at him.