Part 27: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

(So glad I used Mia Telerico as Maddie cause she was so cute when she was two!😩💕)

*Daryl's POV*

    I was still sitting at Hayley's bedside. Maddie's on my lap playing with a toy, the blonde girl; Beth gave her. I grab Hayley's hand and gently kiss it. Maddie watches and then grabs her sisters hand from mine and repeats my action, smiling up at me afterwards. I chuckle, then kiss her forehead. I just look back at Hayley and sigh, rubbing my face with my free hand.

    "Before it happened we were standing there in the woods and this deer just crossed right in front of us." My head snapped up hearing Rick talking. I look over and he's leaning on the doorframe looking at Hayley too. "I swear it just planted itself there and looked Hayley right in the eye. And I looked at the kids looking at that deer, and that deer looking right back at Her. And that moment just..." he sighs. "Slipped away. It slipped away."

    "That's what she was talking about when she woke up, not about getting shot or what happened at the church." He continued. "She talked about something beautiful, something living. That showed me that there's still a life for us, a place maybe like this. It isn't all death out there. It can't be. We just have to be strong enough after everything we've seen to still believe that. Believe it or not this gave me hope."

    "My daughter getting shot gave you hope?" I furrowed my brows at him. He shook his head.

    "No, she did. I mean, when she woke up, she didn't talk about the fact she was shot, she wasn't scared, she was in pain, but wasn't scared. And, she talked about something beautiful like that deer, she was happy. If she can see the good out of something like this happening to her, if she didn't lose the light she had in her eyes before, why wouldn't that give me hope."

    I nod my head, maybe he's right. I smile at Hayley's sleeping form.

    "She is just like her mom." I smile. "Always seeing the good in bad situations, or people. She has the same light, and playful spirit her mom always had."

    "What happened to her?" I look over at Rick.

    "She died when Maddie was born. Doctors weren't sure if it was complications or because of her cancer."

    "She had cancer?" I nod at Ricks question. "I'm sorry Daryl."

    "We didn't even know she was sick. I'll just say it was a shock."

    Maddie reaches up and grabs my chin. I smile down at her.

    "What is it?" I ask playfully, she smiles.

    "When hay hay gonna be better?" She asks me. I look up at Rick he smiled sadly at my youngest.

    "Hopefully soon."

    "Shane's gonna be back soon, he's gonna help Hay Hay, okay?" Rick tells Maddie. She reaches for him.

    He looks to me. I nod, and he then walks over and takes Maddie into his arms. My stomach growls.

    "Have you eaten?" He asks me. I shake my head. "They have food Daryl, you're gonna hurt yourself, giving all the blood you have given."

    "I know, I've been to worried to eat though man."

    "I get it. If it were Carl I would be too."

    Maddie wriggles in Rick's arms, wanting down. Rick sets her on the ground and she walks over to the other side of Hayley's bed.

   She grabs her sisters hand and starts to sing...

Twinkle twinkle, wittle star,
How I wonder what you are
Up above the world so high
Wike diamond in the sky

Twinkle twinkle wittle star,
How I wonder what you are.

    Rick and I smile at Maddie, who is now walking back over to me. She climbs into my lap, curling into my chest, putting her thumb into her mouth

    "That was beautiful. Where'd ya learn the song?" Rick asked her softly, making her smile at him, but she is too shy to answer.

    "I taught her it." The blonde girl,Beth, answers; walking into the room. "She was upset about her sister so I sung her the song, to cheer her up." Me and Rick nod at her.

    "Well, that was very nice of you."

    "It wasn't a big deal."

    "Hey..Beth right?" Rick asks, the girl nods. "Could you do me a favor and go get Daryl a sandwich or something? He hasn't ate since probably way before we had gotten here."

    "Goodness! Of course I will." She answered then leaves to the kitchen with a smile on her face. I glare at Rick.

    "What?!"

    "Ya didn't have to do that." I answered.

    "Oh, well I did. My bad." He jokes. I roll my eyes, getting annoyed.

[a couple hours later]

    Hershel came in and started checking Hayley's vitals. Beth came and took Maddie to lay down for a nap in another room. Rick, T-dog and Glenn walk into the room.

    "How is she doing?" Glenn asks. Earning a sigh from Hershel.

    "She's still losing blood faster than we can replace it." Hershel informs. "And with the swelling in her abdomen we can't wait any longer or she's just going to slip away. Now I need to know right now if you want me to do this, because I think your daughter is out of time. You have to make a choice." He says looking at me.

    "A choice?" I say, clearing my throat. This isn't sounding good for Hayley either way. No I'm not gonna lose her!

    "A choice. You have to tell me what it is."

    "We do it." I mean it's the only option right? We can't let her die without doing something.

    "Okay, get the corner of that bed. Let's get the sheets down." Hershel orders, me, him, T-dog, and Rick grab each corner of the sheets. "Get the I.V. bag on the sheet." Glenn grabs the I.V. bag and does as Hershel says. Patricia standing behind him.

    "Okay, on three. One, two, three." Hershel counts, and then we all lift the sheets and Hayley onto a table thing. "Y'all may want to step out." Hershel orders, Patricia walking to his side. I shake my head.

    "I'm not leaving her." I say. "I wo-"

    "Come on Daryl. They're gonna take care of her. You'll get in the way." Glenn pulls my arm, cutting me off.

    I look to Hershel, and he nods at me. Just as I turn to leave we all hear a truck pulling up. We all look at each other with wide eyes. I rush towards the front door, just as Shane walks in. I sigh with relief.

    "Hayley?" He asks, handing supply's to Rick and T-dog.

    "There's still a chance." I nod at him.

    "Otis?" Hershel asks making me realize he was there.

    "No." Shane answers.

    "We say nothing to Patricia. Not till after. I need her."

    Hershel walks away after, to go save my little girls life. I sit down outside of the room and smile, running a hand through my dirty hair.

    She's got a chance! My little girl's gonna survive! I think to myself.

Hope you enjoyed part 27. Sry I haven't posted an update in a very long time. I've been busy, and everyone is freaking out ab the whole corona virus thing. I haven't been able to update as often As I want to 😩🤦🏻‍♀️. Hope all of you are all safe and healthy, love you guys bunches😘❤️🤞

Please comment and vote💕