Part 26: Why Her

*Daryl's POV*

Rick and I are sitting in the room Hayley is laid up in. Shane and Otis the bastard who shot my daughter, had left to go get supplies to save her. Carl is sleeping with his head in Ricks lap. I haven't noticed exactly how close the kid and my daughter are until now.

"I'm sorry, Daryl." Rick apologizes to me, making me look to him. I shake my head. It's not his fault.

"Don't apologize. It wasn't yer fault, I shouldn't of blew up on ya like it was." I say, looking back at my daughter's face.

"I told you I wouldn't let anything happen to her." He says. I could hear the guilt in his voice, even if it is false guilt.

"There's nothing ya could'a done Rick. I don't blame ya. I blame that son of a bitch, Otis."

"It was an accident Daryl."

"I know, but my little girl, my little girl is layin' on that bed. She's in pain, I can't do much about it, and until she is okay, I won't look at him, and see anythin' but the man who shot my ten year old daughter."

"Him going with Shane to get the things Hershel needs to keep her alive, He's trying to make it right Daryl."

"And he better." I say looking up at Rick. We then hear the front door to the house, open and close.

I look at the door to the bedroom which is opened. Then, I see Glenn, T-dog, and Maddie. I get up and walk over to Glenn, taking my toddler from his arms.

"Daddy." She smiles up at me. Making me grin for the first time, since I found out about Hayley getting shot.

"Hey sweet girl." I say back to her. Then I look back to Glenn. "Hey"

"Hey. We're here okay." Glenn says to me. I nod my head.

"Whatever you need." I hear T-dog add. I nod again.

"Thank you." They then leave into the kitchen. I close the door, and walk back over to the chair beside Hayley.

Maddie points to her sister.

"Hay Hay got a boo boo, daddy." She says to me. Her comment making both me and Rick chuckle at how cute and innocent she is.

"Yeah, sissy got hurt today. We're gonna stay here till she gets better okay?" I softly explain to my youngest. She nods her head, and starts to play with my fingers.

We sit in the quiet for a few moments. Then, I hears soft snoring coming from the toddler in my arms. I then carefully shift her to where it's more comfortable.

The bedroom door opens again. Making us look over to it. Hershel walks in, he nods at Rick and I, then goes to Hayley's bedside, checking her vitals.

"They don't get back soon, we're gonna have a decision to make." Hershel says, looking at me.

"And that is?" I ask.

"Whether to operate on your little girl without the respirator."

"You said that wouldn't work." I hear Rick say.

"I know." Hershel says. "It's extremely unlikely. But we can't wait much longer." He adds then walks out of the room.

I rub my hand over my face, and take a deep breath, holding it for a second before letting it out in a heavy sigh. I look over at Hayley, baby girl you have to survive this.