Part 56: Chances

*Hayley's POV*

It's been a few days since the death of my uncle. I isolated myself the first day, still coming to terms and coping with the fact that he was actually gone.

The past couple of days though, I've kept myself busy. Doing any work I'm able to, just to keep my mind off of losing him. I know the adults are concerned for me. Afraid I'll work myself to death, or close myself out completely. They think I don't notice the glances the give me or the talks they have about me. A few I've over heard myself.

I overheard Hershel and Rick, talking about how overworked I'd be, and they shared their concerns for my mental well-being as well.

My father closed himself off a bit. I know he wants revenge on the Governor and to avenge my uncle. Hell, all of us do.

Right now Hershel, Carl, Beth, Maddie, Judith and I are loaded up going to hide out. While the fight is coming to us.

Carl had been in a shitty mood ever since his father made him come with us.

When we make it to the area we're going to wait the fight out at, Beth gets out with Judith, and hands her to me so she can help her father set up a little camp like place. Not knowing how long we'd be here.

Carl was watching the prison which was still in view. I look over just as vehicles approached. My heart drops to my stomach. Dreading the possibility of harm towards our family.

The fight begins. Sounds of explosions and gunfire sounds. I cover Judith's ears. Beth comes to sit by me. Hershel insisting he'll stand. And Carl stands watching our home under fire. I'm just praying that it's working in our groups favor.

"They're retreating." I hear Carl announce to us.

We get our stuff together and put it away. Suddenly I hear footfalls rushing toward us.

We turn. Carl, and Hershel getting their weapons readied.

A boy comes into view. I recognize him as a boy I would pass a few times. But I couldn't put a name to the face though.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't shoot." He pleads. He looks at me. "Hayley?"

"Hey don't talk to her!" Carl says loudly.

"Drop the weapon son." Hershel orders.

"Sure." He nods holding the gun out to give it to Carl. "Here take it." He says.

But, a gunshot rings out. And we realize carl shot the surrendering boy.

"Carl?!" I let out exasperatedly.

"Let's go." Hershel says looking at Carl in disappointment.

When we get back the group decides to chase Woodburys people, back to Woodbury.

Carl goes over to his father and I follow.

"Hey." Carl calls out.

"Hey." Rick replies.

"Dad, I'm coming to Woodbury."

"Carl."

"Dad, I did my job out there. Just like all of you. Took out one of the Governor's soldiers."

"One of his soldiers? A boy running away? He stumbled across us." I argue.

"No, he drew on us." Carl glared at me.

"I'm sorry you had to do that." Rick told Carl.

"That's what I was there for. I'm going with you." Carl walked away. Rick looks to me.