Part 4: Camp

*Hayley's POV*
We left the highway about a week ago. We went to a "quarry" that's what uncle Merle told me it was called. Over the week, I've become really close to Sophia. She is like a best friend to me. I never really had any best friends that were girls. Cause I've always been a tomboy and had guy friends. Plus the other girls would tease me for that reason.

       Me and Carl aren't best friends but we're friends. He always picks on me though. Almost like a brother would I guess, but I wouldn't know that I've never had a brother.
I don't talk to Lori or Shane that much, but I think they're together but I don't know.

     I met some new people at the camp. There are these two sisters named Amy and Andrea, they both have blonde hair. Amy's really nice. I think she might like daddy, I'll see her lookin' at him and one time I overheard her call 'im "cute".

     I also met Glenn. He's super nice, I think he's the "errand boy" cause he's went on two runs so far. Uncle Merle likes to pick on him cause he's Korean and also T-dog cause he's black, I haven't exactly met T-dog though I just know his name. Glenn brought me back a pair of shorts, a jacket, and a cute necklace with an "H" on the chain back from the last run. He got one for Sophia too but hers has an "S".

      I've became friends with Moralas's kids. They don't speak English very well though.

     The last person I know at camp, is Dale. He's old and tells a lot of stories, and lets me sit with him on the rv while he keeps watch; which he likes to do a lot. I like to think of him as a grandfather I never had, I mean I had one it's just I never met him, daddy forbid me to be around him. I don't know why.

      Daddy and uncle Merle like to hunt a lot, and they take me with them every once in a while. But, when they don't daddy always leaves me under the supervision of Lori or carol. He always leaves Maddie with them when they go even if I get to go too, cause she is a baby and I'm not.

      It'll be Maddie's second birthday in a few days. It's not like we can really do anything special for it anymore, but I'm still excited. I love birthdays, I don't know why I just do, and not just my birthday.

      I'm sitting at the picnic table with Sophia, Carl, and their moms. Cause they are forcing us to do school work which I think is stupid we don't need this stuff anymore! Maddie is on the ground right beside Lori playing with her teddy bear.

      Lori snaps her fingers in my face. Cause I'm thinking about something other than the work.

    "Come on Hayley the sooner you get it done, the sooner you can go and play." Lori says.

     "Why do we need this stuff anymore. Ain't it all about survival now?" I ask with a groan which makes Carl chuckle.

     "No missy it ain't, now get back to work. You never know they might fix society sooner than you think and you'll need this more."

     "If they ever do fix it." I mumble.

     "What was that?!" Lori said. I knew I would get in trouble for "disrespecting" an adult so i just say,

     "Nothin', I'm done Lori." And I give her my paper. She looks at it.

      "Wow you got them all right Hayley!" She said like she was surprised,"I'm impressed. Your smart for a ten year old this was the same as Carl's and he's two years older."

     "Yeah, yeah. Can I go now." I ask. I wanna go check and see if daddy came back yet. He and uncle merle left yesterday for a hunt.

     "Yeah you can just don't go far. Make sure your in my sight." She replied.

     I run off to the RV where I see Dale on watch like usual. I climb up the ladder.

     "Hey Dale." I say getting his attention.

     "Why hello there, Hayley." He said.

     "Have ya seen daddy come back yet?"

     "No ma'am I have not. Are ya missing him or something this is the third time you've asked today."

     "I just don't like when daddy ain't around. He said I'm safe when him and Merle are around. He was always around before everything happened."

     "He's just trying to keep us fed sweet pea. and you are safe with me and the others. If you weren't your daddy wouldn't leave you and your baby sis here."

     "You think?"

     "I know so."

    Just then I hear the trees rustle and Dale looks through the binoculars.

    He relaxed and I get excited when I see daddy and uncle Merle.

     I jump up and race down the rv ladder and run to daddy. He catches me in his arms, but stumbles a bit. He wasn't expecting my reaction I'm guessing.

    "The hell is wrong with ya girl?" Daddy asks amused.

     "I missed ya daddy." I say as I giggle.

     "I missed ya too baby." He says picking me up,"I've only been Gone a night though."

     "That's too long daddy!" I say joking.

     "Really? Well will a squirrel dinner make up for that?"

    "Hmm..I guess so."

      Daddy chuckles and put me down. We walk over to where Lori is with Maddie. When we get over there Maddie reaches up for him.

       "Da da!" She says

       "Looks like you've both missed me." Daddy says to me picking Maddie up chuckling again. We sit down on a bench, and daddy kisses us both on the top of our heads and says,
"I love you both baby girls."

Authors note: did you like me showing Daryl and his daughters relationships at the end? What did you think of the chapter? Do you like the soft spot Daryl has for his girls?😊