Part 64: Holding My Hand

*previously*

Maggie reluctantly moved to Hayley taking the respirator from her. From the lack of movement from the younger girl and how deathly pale she was, Maggie would say she is indeed gone. So she quickly moved back to her father and Glenn. They'll tend to him and would deal with her afterward.

*now*
Third Person

Hershel and Maggie had been able to save Glenn. Once they had, the snarling of the walkers had lessened. That issue under control for the time being.

"I didn't want you in here." Hershel told his eldest daughter.

"I know. I had to." Maggie panted. "Just like you daddy."

Maggie remembered the little girl dead on the bed. She shuffled away from Glenn and her father and over to Hayley.

Maggie frowned at how sick the girl looked. She looked so pale and fragile. But at the same time looked so peaceful. And although Maggie believed her to be dead, the girl just looked like she was sleeping.

So Maggie decided she had to be sure. And felt for a pulse. After a couple moments of trying to find one, she was about to give up...

When finally she felt a faint pulse.

"Daddy! She's alive!" Maggie says looking back at Hershel, who visibly sagged in relief at that revelation.

Then they hear cars approaching outside. Daryl and the others made it back.

"They're back?" Maggie says kneeled beside Hayley's bedside, making sure the girl on the brink of death doesn't slip away.

"Everything's gonna be just fine." Hershel smiles.

*later*

After unloading all the medicine they had retrieved, Daryl made his way to A Block.

He rushed inside and quickly found his way to the cell where his daughter was.

He froze when he got in the doorway. Catching sight of his daughter. Unconscious, and looking close to death. Her pale, clammy skin and her labored breaths.

Hershel was checking her vitals. Using his stethoscope to listen to her lungs.

"She's still very congested. Fever hasn't broken yet. But the medicine will help. She's already starting to improve." Hershel says draping the stethoscope over his shoulders. "She's breathing on her own now so that's a major improvement."

"She stopped breathing?!" Daryl asked alarmed.

"She did. And I'm not gonna lie to you. Maggie and I had both thought we lost her. That it was too late. But, she proved us otherwise. And she was bad Daryl, I'd call it a miracle."

"I should've been here for her." Daryl says guiltily. Moving into the cell and taking Hershel's place.

"There's no way you could've known she'd get sick." Hershel stated from where he now stood. "Besides, that little girl is strong, she's a fighter. I'd bet money she gets that from you."

"Nah, I'd go ahead and bet that money on her mama." Daryl chuckles. The older man lets out a gentle laugh too.

"Yeah. I'm get the feeling, your girl ain't leaving this world until she's good and ready." Hershel smiles.

At that Hershel leaves Daryl alone with his daughter.

Daryl sat just looking at her, holding her hand and smoothing her hair back.

"I'm so proud of you baby. I love you so much." He whispered to her and kissed her hand. "Now wake up soon so you can hear me tell you that."

*next day*
Daryl's POV