Part 63: Life Was Always a Test

Glenn's POV

I'm kneeled by an unconscious Hayley's bedside. Using one of the air bags to pump air into her lungs.

I had asked Hershel how long they'd have to do this for. Hershel said for as long as we're willing to do it, or until she starts breathing on her own again.

When Lizzie ran and got me and Hershel, we ran to Hayley immediately. Seeing her choking on her own blood on the floor. She had fell unconscious I'm guessing right before we had gotten there. Hershel had me turn her to allow the blood to come out of her throat and mouth, and Hershel then checked and found a faint pulse, deciding to put her on the manual ventilator after we moved her onto the bed.

As I pump the ventilator I look down at Hayley. Her dark hair a stark contrast to her now sickly pale skin.

"C'mon Hay. You need to wake up. You're dads gonna be back soon." I whisper to her. But she doesn't move at all, her eyes don't flutter one bit.

This isn't fair. She's just a kid. She shouldn't have to be fighting for her life. But then I realized that, that was a useless thought, 'cause from now on since the world fell, she'll be doing that everyday. Just like the rest of us. Doesn't make it fair though.

I hear Hershel's footsteps before I see him. He and Sasha had gone to help a man named Henry who had choked much like Hayley did.

He makes it to the cell door and looks down at me and Hayley.

"She's gonna be okay isn't she? I mean she has to be." I look up at Hershel who sighs at what I had asked him.

"All we can do is hope, pray, and not give up on her. As long as she still has a chance." Hershel says.

"And does Henry have a chance?" I ask.

"No." Hershel answers making me look up at him surprised by his honesty. "He's gone. We got to Hayley sooner. And we only had one ventilator. I made a call."

I nod and we both sat in silence as I kept pumping the ventilator.

"Just keep at it. I'll send Sasha or someone else to come take a turn. I have to make rounds." Hershel says hobbling off.

Third Person

Rick had walked down to Death row. Not going in but looking through the glass window. Seeing Hershel putting down another dead person.

"Hershel." He announced his presence to the older man.

"Third one we've lost. We're burning them behind the blocks." Hershel tells Rick.

"Burning them?"

"That's what it's come to."

"Are you okay?"

"I talked to him yesterday about Steinbeck." Hershel gestures to the man he just put down. "He told me a quote. "A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ." That's exactly why I didn't want them all to see what happens. I know they know, but I didn't want them to see it right now."

"They're seeing you, Hershel." Rick responds. "They see you keep going. Even after all the choices keep getting taken away. When we get past this thing... it's not gonna be like how it was, is it?"

"You spoke to Daryl and the others lately?"

"They're on their way back."

"Hayley and another boy collapsed yesterday evening. Choked on their own blood. We only had one manual ventilator. I chose to give it to Hayley. The boy didn't make it."

"And Hayley?"

"Has a chance for survival, but there's still a chance we could lose her too."

"Should I radio Daryl, let him know?"

"Not yet."

"What if she goes before he gets here."

"Right now he's focused. Let's not distract him with grief too early. The girl can still pull through. And the more focused Daryl and that group are, the faster they'll return."

Rick sighs feeling unsure about whether to radio Daryl or not. But decided that maybe Hershel had a point, and after a moment Hershel spoke again.

"I still think there's a plan. I still believe there's a reason." Rick looks questioningly at Hershel as he spoke.

"You think it's all a test?"

"Life was always a test, Rick."

"I need to talk to you about Carol."

Back in the cell block

Glenn had took a break from manning Hayley's ventilator, Sasha had took over, but soon after he rested he took another turn, allowing Sasha to go rest herself.

He was sat at Hayley's bedside squeezing the ventilator every few seconds, but suddenly he was taken over by a coughing fit himself. And this one becoming too much for him to handle. He starts losing breath He stands reluctantly leaving Hayley's side and moving to the cell door.

"Hersh- Hershel!" He yells before coughing some more and falling on the floor passing out.

Chaos was erupting down below. So Hershel didn't hear Glenn calling for him. A kid had died, his father hid it so hershel had no knowledge of it, and the kid had turned. Biting others and attacking Hershel. The father tried to undo his mistake by helping hershel, going to shoot the walker that was his son, but getting bit by another one, and accidentally shooting another patient instead.

A woman had been bitten and turned upstairs. Hearing the commotion from Glenn's cell. Making its way toward unconscious Glenn and Hayley.

But then Lizzie saw and led the walker away from them. Coaxing and guiding the female walker toward her. Then screamed as the walker lunged for her.

Lizzie fell on her back the walker snarling on top of her. But Hershel had gotten up the stairs in time to save Lizzie, throwing the walker over the railing.

"You okay?" Hershel asks her.

"I called him nice. He didn't scratch Glenn. I thought maybe he listens." Lizzie explains.

"Lizzie, where is Glenn?"

"In his cell. With Hayley."

Hershel locks Lizzie in a cell, making his way to the opening to the cell block. The door Maggie was pounding on.

"Let me in Dad!" Hershel let her in. Locking people in cells as he went. Trying to regain control over the situation.

Once he let Maggie in, he led her to Glenn's cell. Finding Glenn passed out.

"Oh my god!" Maggie panics.

"Hold on, Glenn. We have something." Hershel says and looks up cursing to himself as he sees the one ventilator they have on Hayley. He has to make another tough call.

"Maggie." He says and takes a deep breath. Glenn starts gurgling and gasping beneath them. Hershel hesitantly continues. "You need to remove the ventilation bag from Hayley. It's the only one we have. Glenn needs it."

"What about Hayley?" Maggie asks.

"Glenn was manning it, and I'm not sure how long he's been out. I'm so sorry, but If she needed it still she's probably already gone." Hershel says. "If we're gonna save Glenn you need to do as I said. Now."

Maggie reluctantly moved to Hayley taking the respirator from her. From the lack of movement from the younger girl and how deathly pale she was, Maggie would say she is indeed gone. So she quickly moved back to her father and Glenn. They'll tend to him and would deal with her afterward.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Hey guys here's the second chapter posted after a long wait. Please leave a comment, and vote and I'll do my best on getting more written. I'll try and post a few more by the end of this weekend! Hope you're having an amazing day!🤍

So is Hayley gone??? I wouldn't be too sure 🙃