Part 43: Killing me Too

*Daryl's POV*

It had been about 9 months since the farm was overrun. 9 months since I've seen Hayley. Rick had apologized to me everyday for a month straight, him feeling guilt for Hayley's disappearance. I could tell it took a toll on his kid, Carl also.

I went out in the woods every night searching for her, yelling her name. I still do every day, even if we're at the prison. I wake up early, leave to go look for her, and come back with squirrels, rabbits, etc. whatever I killed that day to make it look like I was hunting. Haven't been lucky though, haven't even gotten a lead. But, still I'd go out everyday, searching from dawn to the middle of the day.

I'd come back midday, so that I could be with Maddie and put her down for bed. She's grown so much these past months, she talks so much better, she's taller, and her hair is longer I mean she's nearing the age of three. She even knows a thing or two about skinning and cleaning animals, from spending a lot of time with me. Of course that doesn't sit well with Carol or Beth. I know it didn't sit well with Lori either when she was alive. She died having her baby, and we lost T-dog too.

    I know Hayley has been growing too, I've just been missing it all

I know Hayley has been growing too, I've just been missing it all. I miss her so much. I don't pray very much at all, but I'll have to admit I've said a prayer or a few, hoping she was out there somewhere alive.

Maddie remembers her, I tell her about her everyday in fear that she might not remember her older sister. Every time we talk about her she tells me. "She's alive daddy. I can't wait to see her again."

God, I hope she's not wrong. I'd give anything to see my other baby girls face again and know she is okay.

*Hayley's POV*

It's been a month since we arrived at Woodbury. Jude was given the job of being with the Governors "army" and occasionally guarding the gate when he wasn't out with the men, Taylor guards the gate as well only more than Jude, and Jacob helps with cooking and trains with the governors men being too young to have the same job as his brother he will join when he's older.

    Andrea seems to like it here, and seems to be getting close with the Governor. That Michonne girl doesn't trust this place, but I trust my uncle.

As for me. I go with my uncle to hunt for food, it becoming a job of mine. And sometimes I'd help with cooking like Jacob.

Let's just say Merle was pretty happy to see me.

Flashback

They took us to the infirmary to check us out. Turns out, I'm pretty healthy, or as healthy as you can be after us four kids lived out there alone for months.

When I walk out of the infirmary, I spot Merle. He's walking away with his back to me.

"Merle!" I yell. He freezes. Then he slowly turns around.

    "Am I seeing shit?" He asks in disbelief. "Hayley?"

    "Yeah, it's me Uncle Merle." I smile. He just stared at me in what I believe is shock. Eventually I ran over to him, and wrapped my arms around him. Once he snapped out of it he picked me up easily and hugged me back.

    "It really is you huh?" He smiles pulling back looking at my face as he held me. "Damn you're so much bigger than last time I saw you."

    "Yeah. It's what kids do, they grow." I say sarcastically. He scoffs and spins around making me grab onto his shoulders, afraid he'd drop me.

"You definitely got some Dixon Sarcasm." He says setting me down, I smile. "You know where you're daddy is?" He asks making my smile drop.

"No. I got separated from him a while ago." I say frowning. "I was hoping you knew." I looked down.

I feel Merle put a hand on my shoulder. "It's alright. Look on the bright side, you got Ole' Merle with ya now."

"Yeah, you're right I guess. Never thought I'd see you again." I smile.

End of flashback

Right now I'm on a hunt with Merle. So far we're not getting anything. Merle makes me stop suddenly.

   He points up ahead of us. There was a deer in the distance.

    "I'm gonna let you take this one. You think you can do it?" He asks me.

   "Yeah." I nod. I pull my bow up and notch the arrow.

    I pull back the string and aim at the bucks torso. Just as I'm about to shoot a walker comes out of the bushes near us, scaring me and I release my arrow. It goes above the buck that and the walker making it sprint away.

    "Dammit!" Merle shouts, then he stands up and takes care of the walker. "Better go get your damn arrow, we're heading back."

    I stand up and walk the direction my arrow went. Sighing I think, I'm great with a bow, but my hunting skills aren't 100%.

    Once I grab my arrow, I catch up with my uncle, who looks annoyed that we didn't get anything.

"Sorry." I say.

"For what?" Merle asks me.

"That we didn't catch anything today. My skills aren't very good." I say looking down.

"You've gotten squirrels before. Don't get down on yourself because you didn't get your first buck today. Sure you didn't kill nothing today, but neither did I." He tries to reassure me.

"Yeah but with the other stuff you or daddy were holding my hand and helping me the whole time. I can't do it myself." I say. Merle grabs my arm stopping me.

"Yes you can Hayley Marie. You're just learning. We all do that. I mean even though I am older, your daddy is still the better hunter. Who knows maybe you'll be good at it like me and Maddie will be better at it there will be things you're better at than her though. Sometimes that's how it works." He explains.

"What're you better at than dad?" I ask.

"Well...fighting probably, I'm louder, and I got more girls before." He makes a face making me laugh. "I was just better at the social scene than he was, he was the quiet reserved type, didn't really have a girl until your mama gave him a chance. Difference is you're daddy was better at keeping the relationship, better with feeling his emotions, despite how much he tries to hide it he's a softie, he's an emotional guy."

I smile and nod. "He is."

"Yeah, and wherever he is out there. I just know that you not being with him is killing him. Ive never seen Daryl care so much about someone the way he cares about you and your sister." I look down as he says this.

"It's killing me too." I say.

—————————————————————
A little Merle and Hayley uncle and niece moment 🤷🏻‍♀️🥺
If you liked this chap then leave a comment and vote it's very appreciated!❤️