Part LIX: All the stars II

"How old are you guys anyways? " I asked with curiosity.

Benjamin asked for twos.
"Go fish, Benji."
He frowned.
"Quit calling me that; it's bizarre." retorted Benjamin.
He picked a card from the deck.

Demetri looked into my dark eyes with his wine eyes.
"I'm about one thousand give or take a hundred years."
My eyes bulged.
"Your turn," urged Demetri.

"When is it my turn," asked Renata.
She wore an panther black dress with brown leggings and a brown wool scarf.

"After me," I said.
"Can I get fives?"
All the players gave me their fives. I smiled.

"Are all of you as old as him?" I asked shyly, pulling the red coat tighter around my body.

Benjamin shook his head.
"A-s?" Renata queried.
No one took out their cards.
"Go fish." Benjamin said

"Again? I think you are all hiding them."
"Not our fault you have cards no one else has." Demetri retorted.

As she frowned and picked from the blue deck Benjamin said:
"No, I'm only a hundred and forty seven."

"I am seven hundred and seventy."
My eyes grew wider.

Demetri asked for queens.
"I have none," Renata gloated.
"Same." said Benjamin.
They waited.

"Makayla, and you?" Demetri prodded gently.
"Oh, sorry. I do." I said giving him a queen of spades.

"It is much to take in," admitted Renata.
"You guys are bascially old men."
"And an old lady!" reminded Renata.

"Yeah, sorry. I forgot about you. So, may I ask how old are the twelve year old twins and Aro and Caius?"

Benjamin laughed.

"I was waiting for you to ask that. Believe it or not but those children are not much younger than Demetri. They are also somewhere around one thousand. And your boyfriend is the oldest master despite looking young. Aro is the youngest despite his power and appearances."

"Oh? So how old are the masters? "
"Nearly four thousand years old."

My face paled. And I choked on air. Renata became air then she was beside me with a glass of water. I drank it.
"My boyfriend is four thousand? Uh...."

"You'll come around to the idea. But I understand your shock." said Renata.

I gave a, are you mad look.
"It was very normal in our times to wed someone half your age. These days that fashion is returning. Think of it as that."

I shuddered. Marcus was older than my father and even Great Uncle Sam, who was nighty-five! They all were yet they remained youthful.

"Can I get some air? You can continue go fish without me."

"Yes, let me come with." Renata said.
I shook my head.

"You cannot go alone. This castle as you know has bloodthirsty vampires."

"And Aro who is claiming I'm his everything... If he cares so much I might just walk around and live." I said sarcastically.

They were shocked. I went. They didn't follow. I thought of going into the garden, where Marcus took me while I was sick. I dawdled there.

It was lonely without him. I walked down the quiet halls then I turned out to the verandah and it opened it a green garden. The garden was white with snow and the colourful flowers were now yellow, after being struck by Death's blade.

"I don't know what I expected. Maybe I hoped you would stay with me at least and not leave me like him. " I spoke softly in a crushed voice to the flowers.