Part XXXIV: American Master

Carlisle looked on, dumbfounded by what he saw.

There in front of his golden orbs was a boy with long black hair framing an angular face. He was nothing but ordinary except he wasn't ordinary.

The boy smiled at the coven leader.
"Marcus?" he said surprised.

Then Caius stared at his brother, if it was him dressed in American, modern clothing.

"Pleasant to see you Carlisle under better circumstances. I guess I fit in too well, none could decipher me from the rest of the vampires from your continent."

"Yes, I scarcely could. How are you?"

Marcus laughed. Marcus laughed and his guard, the visitors and specifically Aro's brains warred in confusion.

"As of late I have been well."
Emmett, not aware of the present tension, came nearer to his adoptive father and the Volturi leader.

"Sweet threads man, where'd you get them?"

Carlisle deftly frowned his disapproval. Emmett's wife, Rosalie, looked at him in horror. Esme gasped and her heart face contorted with the muscular action, her caramel hair waved. Eleazar and Carmen's backs stiffened.

"Emmett, don't speak that way to him."

After Carlisle's reprimand Emmett lowered his head and prepared to apologise. But then:

"Don't mind, my old friend Carlisle, Emmett, he is unaccustomed to my change in fashion. Old dogs are hard to retrain."

Emmett gave a booming laugh. Marcus was visibly amused; his body was relaxed. His guests loosened their body language soon enough. They laughed, easing into the environment.

"I must admit I had assistance dressing up, she will be pleased my guests thought I looked dapper."

Carmen could not control her reaction.
"She?"

Eleazar stood defensively in front of his mate when Marcus' red eyes fluttered to her.

"Yes, Carmen. She. Most Women have an aptitude for fashion and though my brothers would disagree they are not up to date with the latest trends for me to rely on them."

Demetri laughed. Caius scowled in the corner of the room, where he joined Aro. Aro was offended.

He was wearing a Louis Vuitton special, which was released in the Fall collection. He was just wearing jeans and trainers, the nerve.

"Master, please do credit some of us," Demetri said.
"Oh, yes I am glad you were there for her to argue with."

Carmen, Esme and Rosalie giggled.

"Women are always like that, with their clothing. My Carmen, every decade's end has to coerce me to find new garments." said Eleazar.

"Where is the lady?" said Rosalie.

She was something special to get the once apathetic Master to arise like a Phoenix, from the shadow that was his life.

"Yes, I think Alice would quite like someone as passionate about fashion as her," Carlisle smiled.

"First off, let me address Emmett's question. You should accompany your mate to a boutique in Florence, by the name of United Colors of Benetton."

Marcus then gave a diminutive smile.

"The lady will have to remain a secret. Oh, Demetri you owe someone ten euros."
Demetri winced.

"I should have declined but I believed you would never favour her dress sense."

Marcus gave Demetri an amiable elbowing. The vegetarian covens watched the blossoming camaraderie in surprise.

"That's a disappointment, friend. But I am happy to see you in good spirits," Carlisle said.

Aro decided to insert himself in the situation. Everyone became tense but Marcus stood taller and held his head up.

"Ah, my brother. I could not recognise you amongst the guests. What is it you are wearing?"

Marcus smiled.

"Have Demetri escort you to the shop we entered. You need a new wardrobe. This is the latest fashion for men."

Aro for a fraction of a second dropped his cheery disposition then it was back as if it had never left.

"Why don't we ask our guests, hmm?"

Emmett answered without hesitation.
"Marcus looks great."
Rosalie nodded and even Esme.

"He really is up to the dress code, denim and semi-casual." Eleazar said.

Aro felt envious.

"It would seem so. Excuse me my dears; I have other business." Aro said before walking away briskly,an alteration to the normal gait he performed.

Carlisle watched in silence he had never seen Aro so agitated. Eleazar looked at Carlisle; they communicated with their yellow eyes shared disbelief. Then to add to the disbelief Garrett came up to the Cullens.

"Man, this isn't much of a party is it? All the redcoat leaders are leaving. Who's the new guy?"

Kate walked behind him.

"I am sorry we are late. Garrett almost had a snack inside," she said rolling her eyes.

"Hi, fellow American. Since the redcoats aren't here, you must be in charge, 'cos the guards are waiting hand and foot on you. Are you their American Master?"

Marcus chortled. "Greetings, Kate. Garrett." Marcus smiled at them.

Kate and Garrett were mute. They were in trouble. She had just admitted her mate was hunting inside the Volturi's walls.

"My apologies; it was not intentional." Kate said bowing.

"No problem, we shall provide sustenance soon... If Garrett still feeds from humans."

Marcus studied his gaze; his eyes were a rusty orange.

"You really don't mind?" said Garrett.

Marcus tipped his head.

"I can sense altering your diet has caused you, impulse control difficulties. I am not biased to your animal diet but I feel it is safer for you to return to your previous diet, for the meantime," Marcus said quietly.

The Cullens and Denalis accepted the judgement. Quite happy no one would be executed for a small mistake.

If it were Caius or Aro, it would be a different story, especially since Kate was gifted. It would have been an opportune time to collect another gifted immortal.

"Yes, thank you. We will do that."

They thought Marcus would detach and his brothers would return but the opposite happened. He entertained his guests all through the night with stories of old and colourful banter. Aro and Caius escaped to their rooms.

"I am afraid Carlisle, Eleazar and your respective covens may go to the drawing rooms on the west wing then you can depart if you wish. Heidi is bringing in our food."

Carlisle and Eleazar thanked him and they were escorted by Alec who had been absent the entire evening.

The nomads, Mary, Peter, Charlotte, Leighton and Garrett dined with Marcus. The guards who were there, Demetri, Felix and Daisuike, were calmly waiting outside the antechamber to prevent humans escaping.