Part IV: Catholic

I met this man who would show me around the religious monuments of Volterra at the towering walls of the city and l phoned the agency Ms Bianchi worked for, to drop me off at the gate. They were quite furious l had arranged my day-trip myself but l could've cared less.

I was back to do what I enjoyed. I had on my grey sneakers my brother had bought for me. A grey t-shirt with a pocket by my heart and blue Levis, the only quality denim in my wardrobe.

The man was in his thirties and robust. He gave me a cheery grin.

"Buongiorno, madame."

I gave him a smile.

"Buongiorno," I said.

He introduced himself as Mr. Benito Russo. He wanted to show me the entire city but I told him today would be simple. I was only here to see the church, the chapel and the baptistery. He nodded and he said walking would be best so I wouldn't miss a thing.

Our first sight was the Baptistery. It was an eight-sided building, built in the thirteenth century complete with statues depicting Jesus removal from the cross outside the enclosure and an inspiring painting of Mary from within.

"This painting is by the painter, Niccolò Cercignani." he said pointing to it.

"You see it's a bit damaged;that happened in World War two," I nodded absorbed.

I turned around and looking at the beautifully sculpted boy holding a cross, a cloth draped over his privates in the centre of a sort of cream, green and orange stooped area. It was before another painting hidden beneath an arch. The stone was a seashell and yellow umber colour.

After that we went to the Cathedral, it was about eight thirty then. I was astounded by the masterful stroke work dedicated to God, in an ethereal splash of jade, azure and muted brown. There were stipples and triangular and rhomboidal shapes on the outside of the sandstone structure.

I could not look anywhere without seeing a saint or the Lord. It was solace and warmth. Out of habit as we entered I bowed my head and the basin containing a sponge I dipped my finger in there and did the sign of a cross.

The guide, feeling awkward for just entering returned to do what I did. I told him it wasn't necessary but I did it to just acknowledge God. The man refused to look unreligious so he did as I did. Unfortunately for him it meant a lot of kneeling and bowing.

Then he tapped my shoulder we had to return at eleven, there was a service but I wanted to stay. He remained of course out of boredom and translated the sermons and readings for me.

I even got introduced in the church as a visitor. Many stared agape, they had probably never seen a person with my skin before, this wasn't the trendiest area to visit by people, if they did visit.

I took the attention in stride and spoke in my mispronounced Italian, as I nodded my frilled hair got in my forehead. They applauded regardless. My guide was impressed by me and he offered me lunch before we left.

I accepted and he went off to the restroom momentarily leaving me at an upscale looking restaurant. A drop fell on my nose. I looked into the sky as if seeking God and heaven fell on me

I hid inside the restaurant soaked through. I shivered as I waited for Mr Russo. I heard clicking, of men's boots and l smiled.

"There you are! I thought you weren't..." I let my sentence runoff as I peered up and realised that the man I saw was not Mr Russo, he was younger, and paler as well. He had his long hair tucked into a messy bun and he wore semi-formal clothing.

"You aren't Mr Russo," I said.

He tilted his head as he looked at me strangely. I winched and greeted him in Italian. He responded a little coldly and l tried to figure out how I'd talk to him.

"I'm not he but I'm here to take you."

I smiled realising he could in fact speak English but after I registered his words I balked.

"Wait, what? Who the heck are you? I'm not going anywhere with you."

He laughed and strode nearer. I moved backwards, making sure I had witnesses in case he tried anything. There were many people in due to it being noon.

He paused and reassured me removing a stiff paper from his blazer. I snatched it suspiciously.
I gazed upon it.

"Demetri Colombo, member of Little Italia tour guide services."

I frowned it was the same company as Mr Russo. But anyone could forge this so I messaged Mr Russo and he confirmed I was indeed to continue my tour with him. But since it began raining I would need Demetri until he got back.

But I questioned the necessity of it all. This didn't make any sense! First off the tour was over and he had been the one trying to get me lunch which is why I had stayed in the first place. I sighed agitated.

"I don't care if you are from the same company; l'm hungry and cold. So, I'm just going to leave."

He tried to talk to me but l moved away from him and tried phoning Ms Bianchi and her agency but there was no response. I sighed and sat at an uninhabited table. I shook. He sat across from me.

"I know this is inconvenient but something came up and Mr Russo was forced to attend to it. Tell you what, I'll get you somewhere warm to sit and then you can be on your way after the rain stops. You won't find a taxi now especially since it's lunch and also the ones you do find will be overcharging."

I looked at him sullenly.

Demetri was really friendly and he talked of how he worked at the castle as well and how one job didnt cut it. I laughed agreeing.

He told me he could get a jacket from inside and I could just wait in the reception for him. I returned to the familiar place and sat on the yellow sofa made for one.

The secretary kept glowering at me. I gave a long stare. She twitched uncomfortably before going back to typing,probably she was just doing nothing.

Then my vision stirred and my heart started beating fast.