Part XXXVIII: In Love

"How did you know it was Aro? It could very well have been Caius."

He stood. I moved away from his confrontational glances.
"Sorry, that was a slip of the tongue."

I heard his Nikes come towards me. Arctic hands gripped the sides of my round face and tugged my dark eyes to theirs.

"That wasn't a slip of the tongue and I cannot believe I ignored this. So tell me; are you having an affair with my brother?"
I felt my heart die and tears well in my eyes.

"You think I'm having extramarital affairs with him? Is that why you came, to accuse me without proof?"

Tears fell then and I pushed him away. He bit his raspberry coloured lips.
"Do not be ridiculous; I am only making sure."

I backed away from him and lifted my legs up onto my bed.

"Then you must think highly of me then," I said feeling bile tracking up my throat.

The room started to spin and I felt hot.

"I did not mean to accuse you. I only want to know if Aro did something to you. And now I know you are aware of something; I had assumed you were in the dark."

I looked at him and he was stern faced. I could lie or brush him off but then risk losing him. So, only one option was viable.

"Yes, I know something but I didn't know your brother is having an affair. Your brother... remember when you introduced us?"

He nodded robotically.

"He hated me, no that's not right. He was disgusted by me. But I felt undertones of lust but I thought I'd never see you again and I didn't want you not to help me so I buried the matter. Then, remember a month ago when we met?"

Marcus had shifted nearer and was listening closely.

"The garnet necklace I thought was accidentally left...it was Aro's gift. He didn't outright say what it meant but I rejected his gift. It felt wrong; he doesn't know me and he's married. I wanted to ask if you knew.... I thought you didn't but did you set me up to be his girlfriend .... tell me the truth!"

Marcus closed his eyes.

"You can't talk now? Yet before you were ready to accuse me?"

"I did not think he would gift you that but I knew his marriage was falling apart. I usually am a bystander to his games and love affairs; he has had many since he has been betrothed. This time I could not bear you getting hurt."

He admitted that he knew what Aro was doing.

"Marcus, I am... I'm not having an affair with him. I swear on my life. That's wrong! And I don't understand why the change of heart; he loathed me now he wants me to be his girlfriend?"

Marcus sighed.

"No, not a change of heart. It is probably as you mentioned, lust for your body."

His eyes stared at me and it felt as if my soul was barren. I felt so naked. He covered my legs.

Then I remembered I was wearing booty shorts and my boobs were unclothed. Little was left to the imagination.

I was only covered by skimpy pyjamas. I swallowed hard. Now aware of the close proximity of his body, beside my legs.

"You are beautiful. That much I can say but the way he did this I am not happy with."

I scoffed.
"I'm sure there's a right way to cheat on your wife."

I closed my mouth the words irreversible. I fearfully looked at him.

"Makayla, I am gravely sorry for the way I treated you. I was thinking of this for hours on end and I tried to speak to Aro, to try and understand where his mind had gone to.

He kept denying he had no feelings for you but he has changed far too much since meeting you for that to be the truth...And I could only think of you."

He looked at me with a softer gaze.

"Like I said don't apologise for Aro's actions. Besides I'm in love with someone else."
I wouldn't even think of being with Aro regardless.

Marcus' eyes hardened.
"Oh?" he said.

I wanted to slap myself. Did I have mouth diarrhoea today? What was wrong with me?

"Uhm, so since you have gotten that off your chest. Maybe we can rest?"

I expected after tonight's mood he would have fought to know who I loved but he let it go.

"Ok, must I take up the couch?"
I laughed.

"Is that not what is done?"

"Yes, but you can stay here. I think if you sleep in the lounge, you'll be sexually assaulted or you will see a live erotica."

He scrunched his brows.

"Why would I be assaulted? Are your housemates all male, perchance, if so, are they homosexual and unable to control their urges?"

I almost chortled but he was serious. "One is, the rest are girls. The girls don't usually bring guys but Alejandro loves his one-nighters."

Alejandro's girlfriends may look for a new plaything, whilst he was clocked out and I had this possessiveness of Marcus already. It was strange. He started removing his shoes.

"Then in that case; I will have to stay."

"But I advise you wear something else. I will not be able to concentrate with you in those garments."

My face heated.

"Y...yah I could just put on my pyjama pants and a sports bra."

He disrobed and as he did, I caught a glimpse of his flat stomach and my hormones raged. I took deep breaths. Focus...you cannot kiss him...you are friends.

God, help me!

I held my breath and turned my gaze away from him. I opened the wardrobe and pulled out my polyester lilac pyjamas with little clouds, and my grey support bra.

I sprinted quietly down the hall. I heard noise from the lounge so I knew it was safe for me to enter my shared bathroom. I would not be scarred by Alejandro's nakedness.

I tugged down my neon purple shorts and dragged my lilac pants up my big legs. I pulled away my night shirt to cover my breasts so they were no longer hanging down then I pulled my shirt on. I quietly moved down the hall to not disturb Alejandro in particular.

He was on my little single bed with bare feet and at least he was wearing a shirt. But that didn't make it easier. I wanted to check if the girls were in, but that would be awkward to explain, if they were in there why l wanted their room.

"You are only sleeping next to him." I muttered. Marcus watched me as I walked to my bed. And I felt as if I was the guest. He looked so at ease. He petted the side next to him.

"You must be tired. Come, here."

I snuggled beneath my sheets. I closed my eyes.