Part LXII: Aro

Athenodora was telling me of the time she met Leonardo and how he had begged to paint her when Sulpicia stormed into the room.

"Hello Sulpi," said Dora.
Sulpicia pouted. She came to stand a foot from our green couch.
"Let us go, we have business to attend to."

I wondered if she meant sitting in their stuffy room with tacky, peeling sofas.

"Why do you not sit for a while. I was telling Makayla here of that boy, Leonardo..."

"No need. It is late and I feel she needs to sleep."

"I'm ok."
Sulpicia's roan eyes had turned a pitch colour. She looked through me then she looked at me like I was a cat she had found in her meatloaf.

My back straightened. My hair rose. I expected her to raise her voice but:
"Athenodora, please let us go."

She said it so calmly and brokenly.
Athenodora opened her mouth as if she would speak but she decided not to when they shared a look.

"Oh, then let us depart. Goodnight, Makayla."
You could cut the air with a hatchet and not break through. I was left alone.

My guards dropped in slowly into the resting area of the library. Benjamin,little Melanthe and Afton.

He didn't have many duties since his powers were mediocre

He didn't have many duties since his powers were mediocre. He could make himself invisible but if you had enough focus you could see him. He tried it with me but I could still see him.

He said the power wasn't supposed to work on humans.

Anyway that was why he was assigned to protect me, this time.

"Guys, she looked at me like she wanted me dead, just now. "

"Mistress Sulpicia? " Melanthe said.
"Yes," Benjamin agreed since he was not too far away to see the whole scene.

"Are you sure? She is very benign. Aro kills her victims for her, even Renata can manage that."

"I think something happened between her and Aro." I said quietly.

Benjamin and I shared a knowing look.
Afton was baffled.
"What happened? "

Melanthe held her hip.
"Geez, Afton get your head out of the books once in a while. Even I know that there's a rumour Marcus left because Aro is her mate," she pointed at me.

We all stared aghast at her.
"Really? Benjamin why didn't you say anything? "

"What? I didn't know anything. It has been long since I spoke with another guard outside from Demetri and Renata."

Melanthe nodded.
"It's true and that rumour started a long time ago, when the Master started acting weird and he stopped visiting Sulpicia."

"Well, it is true. I'm apparently his mate but I don't like him."