Part XXX: Firenze and Ambasciatori

I was biting my nails. The exam grilled me, and I had been waiting for the train for an hour now. It just wasn't my day.

It was unusual as there was always an influx of trains in and out of Firenze Santa Maria Novella. Today only I stood at the terminal. I got a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?" I said in a worn-out voice.

I brushed my curls beneath my fedora.

A soft voice trilled from the other side.

"Afternoon, Makayla."

My heart raced.
"Hi. Hi Marcus." I said in a breathy whisper.

It was two weeks from our last meeting. I had rushed out early the following day to avoid Marcus. The experience with Aro had flustered me.

"It has been some time since I have seen you."
I looked at the empty railroad station.

"I've had a lot on my plate these days. I just had my first exam."

A moment passed.
"How did you fair?"

I blew out a breath.
"I don't know," I said hopelessly.

"You should not worry I am certain you passed."
The simple words made a smile tug weakly on my lips.

"Thanks, Marcus at least one of us thinks so," I said with a small laugh.

He echoed with his own, hearty chortle.
"My pleasure, dear."

My heart was jumping around so much I feared he could hear it over the line. My toes curled, my palms were clammy and my face warmed.

"What are you doing at the moment?"

I replied, a little more upbeat: "Futilely waiting for transport. I've been here for twenty minutes at the train station and there's been no train."

"Where are you?"

"At the terminal of Firenze Santa Maria Novella. Why are you asking?"

"I was in Florence for business and I thought I should make a detour to your home, but I never anticipated you would also be in Florence. Would it be a bother if we went for dinner?"

He asked me on a date!
"You're kidding right? You aren't actually, here right?"

"l am outside the train station."

I gasped. He knew Florence well? How did he get here?... Maybe he was driven here by a cab? The trains were inconsistent today but I also couldn't accept a man of his grandeur taking public transportation.

"What if I don't believe you, Marcus?"
I bit my lip. How would he react?

"It does sound a trifle far-fetched, but humour me and come outside, will you?"

There was nothing to lose. I hung up.

I looked at the empty station and I felt the walls close in and the wind howl. I quickly scuttled outside; there was no-one in sight. It was cold.

When I passed the closed cafés, boutiques and chain restaurants it grew ever colder and the yowling of the wind fiercer. I quickened my pace.

I passed the gaudy yet lonely buildings and the stone became beige and topaz hues as I left the station. The area was lifeless; the street lights started flicking on.

I felt isolated. I picked up my phone and called the number that had last called. Marcus responded.

"Have you found the vehicle?"