Part LII: Dreams

There was a weird rapping sound against what I first thought was wood until I opened my eyes. I was in the dark. It was cold and moist. I walked a few paces and slipped.

I felt a pang on my side. I struck it against a sharp stone and it pierced me on my side. Blood ran through my thin, torn shirt to my filthy trousers. I struggled up and limped forehead, trying to escape something.

A bellow broke from the belly of the cave and I became like the stalagmites. The sound grew more concentrated. It was coming toward me whatever was making that noise. I was so petrified I could not move; I waited helplessly for the creature to come toward me.

A big black thing swooped down at me from the roof and I screamed still unable to move. I was shoved aside. Then I regained control of myself. I was trying to get away from my assailant. I was on my back my legs splayed and sweat and blood dribbling down my contused body.

There were ethereal, feline hazel eyes glowing above me. I could not make out any other features of the creature above me. I moved my hand it was held down by a cold hand. So, the creature was actually a human. I tried my other hand but it too was forced down.

A snarl escaped the man's mouth ;at least the hands felt too leathery to belong to any woman. It was this or death. I was at his mercy in the dark away from civilisation.

I kicked him and his hands flew off me. I pushed him aside. I ran, gasping, blood leaking from my wounds but I ran because my life depended on it.

A ravenous growl was released behind me. I turned and saw a willowy man with a gaunt face and baggy eyes and canines protruding from his mouth that gashed his chin. His eyes were wild and he looked at me like a slab of meat.

It wasn't about lust but hunger. He wanted to eat me! He scuttled to me, crawling like an insect. I ran as if the zombie apocalypse had come.

I jolted up from my bed. I stared at my clock. It flashed brightly: two a.m.

I got up feeling hungry. Demetri had cooked for me despite me insisting he not bother. I had lost my appetite after the police had dismissed my report.

So, Aro would just get away with what he did? I was a foreigner but that didn't justify such lawlessness!

But something was off. They looked pale after I mentioned his name. Who was he?

A rich, young man who acted as if he owned the world but how had he got rich? What were they hiding?

Why was I having such weird dreams nowadays? I remember before Marcus and I dated I dreamt of this black woman being held by Demetri and Felix before Aro, in their dining hall, I had once visited.

Then after we started going out, I had some horrible dream when I slept over at his house that I couldn't remember. Now this dream of a monstrous man in a cave! What was happening to me?

I lamented over this when my cell rang. I walked quickly to my bedroom to answer it. I rolled my eyes as I answered.

"Demetri, hey what is it? This better be important if you are calling me at this hour."

A soft, sad voice answered instead of the staccato voice I expected.

"Kayla."

I squeezed my phone and swallowed. But I said nothing.

"How are you my dear?"
"I'm fine. No, thanks to you."
"How were your examinations?"

"Fair."
He ignored my biting tone and brash remarks.
"Why did you call?" I cut to the chase.