Part XX: Altercation

Marcus strode away from his room, rather hurriedly shocking his employees. He was an aimless man, floating idly through life, since time immemorial.

But now his change of pace left others in a dizzying confusion. He could sense Heidi and Demetri in the castle. He called to them and they appeared, as apparitions, in front of him. He spared them no greeting.

"Heidi, Ms Bianchi's whereabouts?"
"She is in Sienna."

Marcus' face was stone.
"I requested she be here." He said making no space for argument.

"She was, Master. Master Aro sent her away this morning. He did not want our food supplier involved with Makayla.

He believed it was a matter you, as brothers, could solve alone." Demetri saved Heidi from abasement.

Marcus did not flinch.

"Heidi have her brought immediately. We must get Makayla out of the city as soon as possible."

"Again, with the girl? What has come over you?" a cold voice said.

Demetri and Heidi stiffened and looked at their white-haired Master from below their noses.

"Get going, Heidi." Marcus said, ignoring his brother.

Caius growled and turned Marcus to face him. Marcus did not resist.

"She is food! You will not waste our resources ferrying her outside when she could be of use, to sustain us another week per chance."

Caius bared his canines and his tongue flicked like a snake's. Marcus looked at him blankly and he pulled himself from Caius' hold. Caius nearly fell. He was so shocked he stood still.

"Watch me, do so. I will not allow any interference."

Marcus glared at Caius before facing Heidi whose eyes were enormous. Aro dawdled to the reception, he wanted Heidi to find him a snack. He needed something real to grasp onto. He felt his head swaying with the weight of his thoughts.

When he looked at that girl, he had felt his heart beat again, no, that was impossible. Then he found Caius, flustered, behind Marcus. This was strange. Marcus in the few days that passed had taken new wing, he was still a shell of who he was but now it was if he had sipped an energy that could never lose its flame.

Aro wondered what instructions were being relayed to his guards. He gripped Caius' palm and he saw flashes of Marcus' countenance. It worried him; Marcus' face was now resinous with passion and determination.

He had defied them!

Marcus never stood up to them; the two of them had pushed him into a corner, like a runt, only beckoning him when he suited their purposes and he never fought back. Aro frowned.

"Marcus!"

Marcus looked down at Aro and Aro was disturbed. Marcus was looking through him. He was more powerful, but what had turned their ghost of a comrade into this fierceness of spirit? Marcus told their employees to bring their supplier.

"I have told them to send her away. She is not needed this week. "

Marcus paid Aro no mind and told Demetri to instead bring her. Aro was furious.

"Did you not hear me?" he tried to paint a pleasant smile on his porcelain face.

Marcus told Heidi to book some tickets. Was he going somewhere?

Marcus began to walk, to his secret hiding place. Aro ran to catch up with his longer gait.

What was this? Marcus never had such command.