Part VI: Love and the Fates

"Demetri, I'm telling you I had phoned my brother when those redheads just appeared from nowhere."

"And I think you were dreaming; there was no one with you."

We were in the reception, sitting on the pale-toned sofas, bickering. Donatella had a look of consternation on her face. Once every often she would glare at me.

"That's cause they left!"
He gave me a concerned glance. I wasn't mad. I know what l had seen!

"Maybe the stress of the past few days has got to you."
"Or this castle is haunted." I replied icily.

Heidi strode in then with a blue, sheer dress and high-heeled wedges. Her face was an emotionless mask.

Demetri stood and shrugged at her. She looked behind her, and not too far was Marcus dawdling behind, his brows strained.

"Heidi, call Ms Bianchi once more. Demetri make preparations for Makayla's meal and accommodations."

I had to strain to hear him nicely but his personnel thought he was clear as a bell. Demetri went away and Heidi stood beside Donatella, who flinched when their elbows brushed.

"Forgive me, I had a chat with my brothers and prior, we had attempted Ms Bianchi's line, but she had not responded as of yet."

I nodded, despondently.

"Let us go to my chambers."

I stiffened. He looked carefully at me but said no words. At the threshold of his room his back stooped, a blaze sparked in his black eyes. His nostrils flared. I gaped at him.

"You ok?"
His fiery eyes caught mine and the fire was put out.

"I am."

His face was not contorted in rage but it had hints of worry and resentment.

He sat on his bed which had imprints of my body and he took the copy of the novel ,Heidi, in his hand and stared at it. I stood there awkwardly before closing the door.

"Do you wish to hear some tales?"

I slowly padded up to his bed before sitting next to him. It was probably afternoon. But I had to think of something else, not that I would never get home. Not that I would be a pauper on the streets of Volterra.

"I want to mention two characters l never mentioned of Greek mythology, Meleager and Atalanta. Atalanta is a virgin huntress, and Meleager was her compatriot. I would like to explain how the fates function through these characters."

He had tugged me out of my spiral of negativity.

"When Meleager was born, the Fates predicted he would only live until a piece of wood, burning in his family's hearth, was burnt to ash.

Althaea, his mother heard their prophecy, by chance, and immediately doused and hid it in their attic in an oak wood trunk.

The boy grew into a formidable hunter. Oeneus, the king of Calydon, commanded Meleager to gather up heroes from all over Greeceto hunt the that had been terrorizing his kingdom."

He was a soft-spoken guy so l had to lean close and stay bat-silent to hear his story.

"He gathered great men, the Argonauts, Atalanta, the virgin hunter and his love interest, as well as his uncles and younger brother. Atalanta wounded the boar and Meleager killed it. He gave her its hide since she had pierced its tough flesh first, and he was hoping she would finally take notice of his love.

Meleager's uncles , the famed archer and grew enraged that the prize was given to a woman. Meleager killed them in an argument.

When his mother discovered this in revenge, she placed the piece of wood, she had hidden so long ago into the hearth. And he perished. So, that the prediction of the Fates be fulfilled."