Part XXVIII: Garnet

I was not certain if I should disturb Marcus after we were just in each other's company. But I could not pretend there was not a serious problem when I was staring at it, as it laid on the pillow.

I covered the offending thing with the scarf I found on top of it. I stood abruptly and took off for the door.

Why had I not asked Demetri , before he settled in, for the location of his room?

It was probably more appropriate to ask for his help then antagonising Marcus. But it had to be done.

I knocked on his door; I was facing. I waited a few seconds and repeated the action. He answered too quickly, so, I knocked on his chest. He didn't flinch and his night shirt was cold as my fingers skimmed over it.

"Oh, Marcus! Sorry, I thought you were the door."

Luckily for me a smile bedazzled his face.

"I was about to turn in for the evening. What has you up at this hour?"

I sighed.

"I have a problem," I admitted.
He furrowed a brow and opened his door wider for me to enter but I shook in refusal.

"It's urgent; please come to my room."

Marcus' face was a blank canvas, as he stroked the extravagant, plush-coloured box holding the finest jewellery I had ever laid my brown eyes on.

It was a dew drop shaped red stone laid over with gold plating, eventually dissolving into gold and silver loops of chain.

"You said you found this on your bed?"

I nodded. He shut the lid and closed his eyes.

"I think someone left it here by mistake,"I guessed.
"Was someone here before me?" I offered.

He shook his head.
"Oh, then maybe someone thought that someone else would be in this room?"

I thought one of his employees left it for some girlfriend. It looked like a gift as far as I could tell.

"This is a room designated for guests alone. All my employees knew my guest would be lodging here for the night, that suggestion is highly unlikely."

He walked to the chest of drawers and placed it there softly.
"That leaves me with the impression that it was intentionally left here."

My eyes bugged out.
It was unbelievable. I sat on the chaise.
"I am going to speak with the guards to see if anyone saw someone enter."

I lowered my head.
"Thanks."

Before he left, he paused at the threshold.

"I will not take the necklace; I will leave it with you until we resolve the issue tomorrow. Evening, do not fret all will be well."

Then he left me with offending necklace. Who had left it for me? I felt my bladder press insistently against my pelvis. So, I went to the toilet.

As I relieved myself, I thought of possible gifters ...Marcus was unlikely.

He surely would have told me, right? And wasn't it too early in our relationship for gifts? Was it even a romantic one? Demetri, unlikelier still!

Benjamin, I hardly knew well enough, then again, I didn't know the people who lived in Volterra well enough for them to splurge on me.

I washed up my hands with a trance like state. After finishing I dawdled back into the room. And I jumped. There was a man in my room, sitting on the bed.

He had long black hair like Marcus. A strong jaw and a painted grin. His legs were crossed as he sat on the bed.

He stood as I emerged from the bathroom.

"Good evening, Makayla."
The smile uncoiled. My face soured.

"Aro?"
He smiled and came nearer but I backed up. He frowned and stayed where he was.

"It must be a surprise to see me," he confessed.
"It is," I said.

He looked away from my face and at his loafers. He closed his eyes, before whipping his face up to me with renewed confidence.

"I had heard from Marcus; you had returned to our country. I hadn't had the opportunity to welcome you yet."

He approached the bed and picked up the jewellery case and scarf. He must have removed the jewellery case from the dresser when I was in the bathroom.

I swallowed.  He walked slowly to me. Then he bared the precious jewel and silk to me. The lid was opened and it shone against the background of pink silks and white palms.

"Here, I am to do so. Welcome to Italy, Makayla."
My chin raised.

"It's you who brought this into my room?"
He affirmed my question by nodding. His eyes were glowing.

I was startled, mute before a shudder sprang on my skin suddenly.

What kind of twisted joke was this?
Did he enjoy throwing his wealth in the people he loathed's faces?
Why was he giving me this gift if he hated me?

"I can't accept this."
His smile evaporated.
"Why ever not? I had this custom made."

But, why? I felt nauseated

"Aro, I'm tired. Please take your gift and leave."

He knew I meant business and with a firey glare growing in his eyes, he strode off, taking the stupid trinket with.

What the fuck, I thought as I sat on the chaise.