Part XLIII: One Nugget from a Stroke

Marcus swung our hands smoothly as I sang:

"You and me together

Through the days and nights

I don't worry 'cause

Everything's gonna be alright

People keep talking, they can say what they like

But all I know is everything's gonna be alright

And no one, no one, no one

Can get in the way of what I'm feeling."

Marcus gave me a heart-tugging smile.
"Lovely song you are singing. Might I ask who is the artist?"

"It's an Alicia Keys song."
He raised his brows.

"An American?" I nodded in agreement.

"I wonder if her voice is as lovely as yours," he said.

I looked away but my face was beaming. I tried to brush my blued braids back, only to realise it was now in the ponytail Marcus had made. He caught my mistake.

"Forgot?"

I pretended I didn't know what he meant. We walked the semi-quiet streets, brightly lit by street lights. I saw a lonely little ice-cream parlour with dull pink paint and a white roof. I turned to my newly appointed boyfriend.

"I thought we were going to KFC?"
He smiled down at me.

"I could always order you some before we return to your abode, but I thought we could sit somewhere more private and get to know one another."

That was a good idea I had not thought of.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I watched him order for me

"Per favore, dammi crema pasticcera e gelato alla cannella," he said to the salesperson.

(Please, get me cinnamon and crema gelato.)

He smiled and started scooping the Italian ice-cream into a glass bowl as Marcus returned to me.

"Give him a minute and it shall be served."
I hopped excitedly.

"So, I hope you don't mind me asking but who is Marcus Volturi? I think I've known you longer than a year, if we look at it, but I don't really know anything about you."

He straightened his back.

"But you do. You know I have two siblings; I have many employees. Hhmmm...perhaps there is some truth to what you say.

Ok, I think of myself as the most loving and merciful of my brothers. I don't like large social gatherings. I am a lover of old music, Vivaldi and Debassy."

He was different that was for sure.

"I guess opposites attract. I also want to know what your hobbies are."

"I have taken up reading again. I'm afraid I am not so interesting. What are your interests?"

"I like reading too but I've started working out and dancing. I enjoy R'n'B and hip-hop music. But after the festival I went to with Demetri I think I wouldn't mind downloading a couple jazz singles."

His face twisted. "You also went with Renata?"

I nodded. The scowl on his face deepened.
"Are you androgynous?" he said.

It was so random to ask...I didn't even know what that was! But it must be important for him to ask.

"What's that?"