Part XL: Jazz Fest'

The peppy music flowed through the auditorium's speakers. People danced rhythmlessly and flailed their arms in excitement. The deep, smooth voices of the musicians set the tone for the harmonic atmosphere.

They strummed their base guitars and trumpeted on their saxes. I swayed my to the upbeat tempo. Demetri bobbed his head along to the beautifully sung lyrics.

Occasionally, he would tap his foot on the ground. Renata sat timidly in one of the Auditorium Parco della Musica's benches. I pulled her up. Renata groaned.

"Come on! Let's dance! You don't go to a festival to sit around."

Renata gave a lost look and tensed. She kept her arms to herself. I moved close to her and wiggled. Demetri and I looked at each other. I beckoned him over with the gesture of my head.

He jiggled in his dark jeans and mint green, light blue and pale-yellow pastel hoody. I laughed as he did the superman and then whined. Soon, Renata caught the beat and spread her hands out as the music pulsed hotly in the air. We danced endlessly until the music echoed away into the night.

Il Chiosco was a beautiful ending to the evening. I sat companionably in silence with Renata and Demetri. I sipped on a tumbler of ale before dulling the bitter, hot taste with the crunchy, savoury pizza roll.

Demetri was stirring his iced water with a spoon. A group of girls were whispering to one another and pointing at him. Renata was holding a mug of coffee. The steam wafting into the air.

"You sure you guys, don't want some rolls?" I said waving the curled, cheese bread.

Renata glared at the steaming mozzarella bread rolls.

"That's highly unhealthy."

I shrugged and stuffed the meaty goodness in my mouth, salivating.
"Hhmmm...you don't know what you are missing."

Renata drank from her cup.
"I'm passing, Makayla." Insisted Renata.
I took a shot from my ale until it was finished.

"Thanks, for taking me out. Exams have been straining and my social life is still pretty limited even though I've made some friends."

"My pleasure," Demetri said flipping his long hair. I had helped him tie it earlier with a yellow ribbon.

I could hear the girls' laughter.
"You have acquired quite the fan club, my friend." Renata laughed at Demetri.

"I think they were at the fest' and they followed us. I wonder why they don't come and talk to you."

I bit into the last piece of my pork and beef pizza roll.

"The rules of seduction here are different; I am supposed to make the move first and they play hard to get."

I scoffed.
"That's bullshit. Why not be straight forward?"
Demetri looked at me with hazel eyes.

"Then why have you, as you put it, not made a move on Marcus?"
I swallowed abruptly and started coughing.

"What?" I shouted.
Renata squinted at me.

"Why such pretence? We all know you have feelings for him."
I jerked my head and lowered my shoulders.

"I do not."
Renata and Demetri crossed their pastel covered arms and stared at me. I shifted my gaze away.

"We are friends. It will not kill you to be honest with us." Demetri said.
Renata nodded.

I sighed.

"I do like him, ok? But I don't think he feels the same about me. I've known him now for I think... three months and it's not the first time he's seen me, so shouldn't he have asked me out?"

Renata looked me in the eyes: "I did mention last time we met that Marcus is...restricted."
I leaned closer.

"No, you said he doesn't cheat and he takes time to trust. So, the only problem I had was the trusting bit and he does otherwise he wouldn't have slept over."

Renata and Demetri exchanged looks and I sweated.
"He slept over at your home? When exactly was that?" Demetri said coolly.

Renata's eyes were ostrich eggs. There was no explaining myself out of this.

"He came to see me and he just stayed. I think he wanted to be away from the castle for a night. That was about two weeks ago?"

Demetri squinted at me.
"Did you sleep together?" Demetri said.

I nearly knocked over my ale glass.
"No! I mean we were in the same bed, yeah but he kept his members to himself."

Demetri and Renata hummed in disbelief.
"Well, it's true!" I tried to convince them.

"I think it's getting serious between you." Said Renata.
Demetri blew out a breath.

"Renata, sharing a bed is hardly an indication of a blossoming relationship. But I admit there is something between you and Marcus for him to open up to you as much as he has already. And he's changed."

I looked up from the table and pushed my blue chair nearer.

"How has he changed?"
Renata nodded.

"Marcus is more confident; he expresses himself more when he disagrees with a situation and he has made friends and is socialising! Do you realise how huge that is?"

Demetri nodded. I took that in but I didn't say another word. Renata shifted closer to me. We chatted about how our personal lives were going. Every so often her hand brushed mine or a foot would bump against mine.

Demetri mentioned he was feeling a little lonely. Renata wasn't much of a talker though

"Why don't you meet new people Demetri by going on blind dates?"

Demetri pushed back his hair.

"I guess it's worth a try but I always meet the same kind of girls; selfish and self-absorbed.

"I could set you up for a date, dude. Just don't hump her and dump her."

Demetri rolled his eyes.

"Not all us men are animals. I enjoy scintillating conversation and group activities."

I hugged them close and my breasts were pressed closer to my side.

"That's why we are here for you Dem-dem."

"Don't call me that, please."

Renata giggled. We pulled apart.

"Ok, but since you promised to, I expect some dates to roll in pretty soon."

Renata muttered in my ear.

"Just don't sell him dreams. He thinks he is the best man on Earth but it's not all about looks."

I nodded. It was about the heart too. Then when 2 a.m. struck we left behind the bar and headed to our hotel in Rome for some shut eye.