Part IX: Creation

As he stroked my skin my heart stilled. It felt safe in such a hopeless situation and I prayed I would make it home somehow. He pulled me back to look at me.

"I am very sorry, but you may stay here if you feel comfortable for the night whilst we organise a flight for you."

I blinked surprised.
"Why?"
He smiled softly.

"Why would you ask a thing?" he said.

"I don't even know you and yet you care so much about what would happen to me. How can I not wonder?"

He smiled, unphased.

"I am simply correcting a wrong caused by us, indirectly, yes but still by us."

I looked at him, silent. He did not make any sense; why did he care....unless he liked me?

Marcus left me and I longed to be wrapped in his arms again. I snapped out of the urge quickly before I could think on it long.

He walked to Demetri and he told him to tell his brothers not to disturb him in his chambers. We ambled to his bedroom.

He kept a good distance between us this time. I wanted to scream out that l wanted him to hold me and the sensible part of me said he was a stranger!

It was unspeakably awkward. He sat on the chaise staring at the picture of a woman on the table in the corner. Only this time the candles were burnt out stubs of stygian. I took this time to pull out my personalised piceous binder, covering my bible. I read the verse on top of it.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengths me," l whispered so as not to rouse Marcus from his musings. I unzipped the bag slowly then leafed through my bible to Genesis.

I loved the stories of creation. A shape shaded me from the little light entering the room from the curtains' gaps. I squinted and looked for the offending object only to confront Marcus. I flinched. He had silently stalked towards me so that he was only some finger breadths from me.

"OH!" l said trying to still my startled heart.
"I am sorry." he said stiffly.

I nodded, tilting to get more light over my bible. I started reading but then his shadow covered my bible again. I glanced up.

He was inquisitively looking at me.
"What are you reading?"

"I'm reading Genesis," I said.
"The sacred texts of your religion?" he said.

I gaped at him. The sacred text of my what?
"Uh, yeah sure whatever."
"May you read it for me?" he said.

I wondered why he was asking ; had he never read the bible?

"You want me to read to you? The bible ?"

He nodded; expression unchanging. A little awkward I cleared my throat and read to him. Wondering if he would like my voice. If I wouldn't sound pompous trying to pronounce some of the words in there.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.

And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness."

I read audibly.

He chuckled darkly. Why was he laughing? Should I continue? He made no indication to stop so I read on.

"And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.