Part LXX: Denali

"I've got a question for you, Eleazar."
I said as he drove the SUV down the white highway.

He and I had gone to the grocers to get food for the duration of my stay in Denali

He and I had gone to the grocers to get food for the duration of my stay in Denali. For clothes, he said I need not worry as Marcus had taken care of those. I was quite sceptical. But we had bigger fish to deal with than my wardrobe.

"Yes, Mistress I'm happy to answer any you have."
He smiled amiably. I gave a wary smile.
"You don't have to call me that..."

"I do...."
"Not have to," I interjected.
"There's nothing wrong with him addressing you this way," said Marcus.

"Of course you think that. But what are people going to think when he calls me that? Plus mistress isn't exactly the nicest thing for a lady to be referred to in this age."

"Then how about I call you Ms Benjamin?" Eleazar offered.
"That would do nicely," said Marcus.

"Aren't you older?" I asked him.
Marcus scowled.
"That is besides the point. Him addressing you formally is an extension of his respect for me."

These old men and their weird customs.
"You call me Makayla and that's final. I wanted to ask; why are your eyes gold and not red?"

He looked at Marcus through the mirror and he pretended to adjust it.
"Well...eh ...like Marcus I have a similar condition."

I tilted my head.
"Do you drink human blood too or you drink animal blood, 'cos all the vamps I met had these creepy red eyes."

"You think my eyes are creepy?" Marcus says raising a thick brow.
"You want me to lie and say it's endearing?"
"I thought you were over that."

"I am, partially. I just don't wanna lie about how I feel."
Eleazar's eyes were the size of a goldfish's.
"Mast...Marcus? How much does she know?"

"Enough for you not to call me Marcus."
He bowed his head.
"My apologies. Master, did you tell her? Is that fair to her?"

"You can't answer my question?"

Eleazar looked at me and frowned.
"How rude of me, yes, I drink animal blood. It makes my eyes gold."

He was quiet but he was now tense. The drive to Denali was awkward. Marcus had stared him down so much he was afraid to ask anything else.

After two hours and thirty minutes we were in Denali. A wonderful, green outland with towering peaks of mountains dotting the distance.