Part LXVIII: At Last

I clutched my stomach as I laid in bed. Everything just hurt. Everything.

"Anything you want?" asked Felix.

He had tried leaving. The smell had become too vile for him apparently. But he slunk back in soon after. Demetri greeted him with a smirk.

"No," I cried out in pain.
Renata came back with a bowl of fried rice and meat.
"Keep your strength up and eat."

I rejected the food.
"Please, just eat."
She pleaded with me but I refused. She set it aside.

Benjamin came back with some painkillers and a hot water bottle.

"Thanks Benji."
He frowned and shook his head.
"I'll let the stupid nickname go, just this once."

He lifted me into a sitting position and I was coaxed into drinking water after placing the pill on my tongue. I swallowed then huddled into a foetal position.

"How'd you know what to do?" Felix asked Benjamin.

"Marcus often, at times,did this when she was menstruating."

Demetri nodded.
"Rest, we'll feed you after you wake up."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I slept for what seemed like years. I woke to a pale face, with white hair, staring down at me intimidatingly.

"Is she ill?" asked Caius.
The rest were black figures in grey garbs drifting in the shadows of the room.

"No, Master."
That was Benjamin's strong voice.

"Then why is she so laggard? I usually see Marcus feeding her throughout the day; she fills the castle with noise when she prattles with you; now she has not even eaten a mouthful of that bowl.

Furthermore, she has laid there since last night and not moved."
He actually sounded worried, for me, a human.

"Not true, Master. She has gone to the lavatory twice." Joked Felix.
I rolled my eyes.

The silence was violent. I heard Felix mutter an apology to Caius. I felt a cool hand on my forehead.

"Demetri?" I asked.
"Not even close," said Caius apprehensively.

"You sound worried," I bantered.
I felt weak but at least the cramps had subsided.
"Do not flatter yourself, Makayla. I could care less if you are perishing but Marcus would be devastated."

I scoffed.
It was quiet. Yeah, right. If Marcus really cared he would be here.

"It is true. He constantly defended you. And he did claim you and leave you with some guards. That counts for something."

"Renata, go warm that food you once gave her."
"Yes," she said in a mousey voice.

"You made quite the impression on my wife. She said you were lovely. Marcus always said you were kind...but I do not like you."
"I know, you made that clear last time."

"I guess," he croaked.
It was awkwardly quiet. Then he sat on the bed. I looked at him in the dark.

His beautiful, colourless hair flowed like a river over my upper body. He glared at me and I stared numbly at him. He sniffed me.

"You are bleeding...a lot but no cuts."
He stared down at my lower body. My face heated.
"Your monthly cycle?" he asked rhetorically.
I nodded stiffly, trying to cover my face but his body had trapped the sheet beneath his bottom. I scowled.

"Then it will pass. I guess this is why no-one is worried. But regardless.

You should all make sure she eats. By the way what are your intentions, girl?"