Part LXXII: The Final Countdown

I looked at the scruffy monster in trepidation.
"Selene?" I said in a wobbly voice.

Who's Selene?
Marcus was staring at him hard.
"Ambrogio, this is my mate, Makayla."

The vampire scuttled to me on all fours and I backed up. I screeched. Marcus knelt in front of me. He released an airy hiss.

"I'd prefer if you distanced yourself from my girlfriend."

The vampire growled.
"Yours? That woman is not yours, she is my Selene!"

Marcus' eyes were a fire. Sweat beaded down my face.
The vampire stretched out his filthy fingertips to me and I balked.

"Selene...My dear Selene. I never imagined I would live long enough to see you again. "
I clutched Marcus' arm.

"Stay away!" I said.
The monster curled his fingertips inwards and his eyes were forlorn.

"You have no remembrance of me...now that you have reincarnated."
What?

"Sorry? I think all this time alone in this place has confused you. I'm not any Selene."

Marcus had uncrouched after realizing the scary looking man would not hurt me, as he initially thought before I screamed.

"You are a picture of my long lost love, Selene. She had skin as dark as soil rained on the previous night, as do you. She had your cow brown eyes, your voluptuous hips, your supple cleavage and your wiry personality."

I stared at him; my body shutting down. I quivered and his face fell, his fangs dipping.

"Selene?" he said.
"Stop calling me that!" I cried.

The monster was increasingly being disturbed by my sour mood.

"Selene, isn't there anything I can do to decrease your discomfort?" he said.

I shook my head and I felt the ceiling closing in on me. Marcus sneered. A new look I had never seen from him.

"You can start off with a wash," he said raising up his face.
I nodded. That was a little rude but he did smell funky.

"I...I guess I have not indulged in the human habit of bathing in quite some time."
Marcus and I shared a look of disgust.

"Is there a way we can get him soap, a dish and a towel?" I said.

Marcus shrugged.

Then I took out the phone. The bars were two. I texted Demetri. He came almost immediately. Marcus didn't want him to enter the cave. So, I had to go and take the items from Demetri.

I nearly tripped and snapped my neck. So, I threw the dish and said toiletries at my boyfriend's face.

He was prepared for it, so he caught it like a frisbee.
"Thanks, dear."

He faced Ambrogio the hobo vampire.
"Use these. Fetch water with the dish."

The man grunted. After a few minutes he didn't smell like a trash receptacle. But he still looked atrocious; he had nails as long as a sloth, long and shaggy hair.

Marcus frowned.
"I should have informed Demetri to bring the shears."

I took out my nail file, the clipper and the scissors.
I sat on the rock and told the man to sit in front of me.

"Stay still."

I clipped his hair until it brushed the midsection of his neck. His nails were normal sized and the skeletons of his long nails were on the cave floor.

 His nails were normal sized and the skeletons of his long nails were on the cave floor