Part XLVI: Little Rat

A cold sweat broke out on my dark forehead. I screamed. I felt Marcus jump. The room was dark. A light flickered on.

"Makayla!" he said.

I felt paralysed in the action of shouting. Uncontrollable, raucous screaming that shattered the night.

Cold, pale arms looped around my velvet pyjamas.

"Makayla, please. You were asleep. Whatever happened wasn't real!" he pleaded with me.
"Master? Is everything alright?"

I saw the door open and Demetri come rushing in. He found me screeching and Marcus holding me tightly.

"Makayla, what's wrong?" Demetri urged.

"She's been having night terrors." Marcus answered instead.

My voice was becoming raw. But I screamed and screamed and screamed. Marcus' eyes watered and he glanced at Demetri for help.

He looked back at me and took my face. He kissed me. I was grounded, realising I was not with the guy with strange cat eyes or with Aro. I was with my Marcus. I pressed onto his lips firmly. He pulled away.

A collective sigh broke out from our threesome.
"Thank the fates you are fine. What is it you dreamt?"

I pondered momentarily and I couldn't for the life of me remember what had me shouting to heaven.
"I...I...c... can't."

I swallowed a lump in my throat but it stuck there like cookie dough.
"Demetri, get her some concoction for her throat. She must have lost her voice. "

"Don't speak anymore, dear. Rest your voice."

I swallowed and it felt like a cat was scratching inside my throat. Maybe I should or next week's presentation would be a disaster for me. Demetri handed Marcus a cup with steam pouring affluently from it. When had he gone?

"This is hot water infused with fenugreek, honey and peppermint."

I recognized everything he said but the fenugreek. I looked at the green hot liquid suspiciously.
"Thank you, Demetri."

Demetri bowed and he closed the door. Marcus wrapped me in a blanket; blew on the liquid and coaxed me into drinking it. I jerked my head back. He moved it to me. I moved away again. He frowned deeply.

"Kayla, why are you being stubborn? Drink." He said authoritatively.

I was stilled. Kayla? No-one had called me that, not since I was six. He put the hot drink to my lips and tipped it up. I sipped it and tasted a sweet, minty thick flavour.

It soothed some of the scratchiness, so I sipped more of it until I finished the entire contents of the cup.
"You called me, Kayla."

He scrunched up a thin brow at me.

"No-one calls me that anymore."
He smiled; my heart pattered.
"You like that, Kayla."

I could feel the rush of blood to my face.

"I..."
He put a finger to my lips.
"Rest your voice. Now sleep."

He laid down and tugged me down.

He kissed my neck sweetly I felt my stomach dance and, embarrassingly enough my core flared and unfurled anxiously.

I tightened my thighs to suppress the urge. Marcus noticed I had tensed and he smoothed cool digits over my body, barren of clothes, ramping up my excitement. I breathed quickly. My heart must be wild now.

"I..." he silenced me with a nibble on my lips.

"Shhh...Kayla, rest your voice. If you feel uncomfortable you can pull my hair."
I raised my brows.