Part LI: Polizia

My head was banging again so I took a Tylenol, one of the few things I'd brought from home and drank it. It was one of those migraines that attacked one part of your brain.

I sighed as I stared at the incomprehensible criminal case I had to present. My eyes watered. I was so tired but I had to preserve. This was my last exam.

There was a knock at the door. It was a jarring sound. Who was that anyway? I cautiously stared out of the peephole self-consciously.

I was shakingthere was a man with dark, long hair and pale skin outside. It could be Aro again! I opened the door to a slit and the face of the man turned towards me.

"Makayla?" a staccato voice said uncertainly.

I smiled unconsciously and I ran out to hug Demetri. Then I stepped away from him He smiled lovingly then he quirked his oil brows.

"You aren't glad to see me anymore?" he said in a sarcastic voice.
"No, I'm not. What are you doing here? Pisa is too far from Volterra for you to just drop in like this."

My tone was hard, disinterested. He was taken aback.
"What's eating you?"

I crossed my arms and my head blared uncontrollably.

I winced. He furrowed his brows before brushing my shoulder. Great, I couldn't even be angry because my head was hammering.

"Are you alright?"
I breathed out harshly through my nose.

"No, I have a lot on my mind Demetri; my head is also killing me."

"May I?" he gestured inside to my foyer with his dazzling green eyes.

I stepped aside and let him enter. I whisked him away to my living room.

He sat exactly where I found Marcus the day of the incident with his brother and I was furious. Absolutely furious.

Demetri held my hands.
"Are you having a stroke?" he asked half perplexed and half worried.

"If only, I just remembered how angry I am with Marcus. You are sitting where he last sat when we had a disagreement."

I untangled his hands from me and he stood up as if his derriere touched a hot stove.

"I had no idea."
I glared at him resentfully.

"You're a liar! I'm sure you knew this whole time," I said shaking again.
"No, no!" he said. I know nothing of this.

His hair flew as he shook his head like a reluctant toddler.

"You dont?" I said.
"Please tell me what you mean."
The migraine expanded to my nose and I squealed hoggishly.

My head.

Demetri held up a finger and he went off. I tried to follow but I could literally see stars. I closed my eyes and flashes of red and white came behind my lids. I heard the kettle start up.

"Dude, what you doing?" I shouted.

He shouted back: "I'm fixing you a little medicine."
I scoffed. Was he cooking drugs; what the hell was he fixing?

Then the kettle whistled and turned off. I had the slam and crick of cupboards, the tinkle of spoons. Demetri came back with a steaming mug and I was immediately distrustful.

I recalled the revolting mucky green concoction I was fed by him the last time he came with a mug.

"What's that?"
"Only tea."

"Only tea?" I said hopelessly.

"Only Tea. In fact, you might enjoy it. Take a few sips of this as you tell me what has you so worked up."