Part XXXV: Blood Ties

Marcus wiped his mouth with his jacket sleeve. And he licked his lips. Garrett sensing Marcus' good mood walked up behind him. His vampire comrades took that chance to quietly disperse from Volterra, having no more dealings with the Volturi.

"I have to say, that little banquet was of high quality. The one I had was sweet. Must have been diabetic; I'm partial for those."

Marcus waited for him. They walked through the marble halls until they receded into dull carpets.

"I am glad you enjoyed that. I am a fan of salty people. You should try to sample polycythaemic humans; their blood is rich in protein and you will not need to feed for two months if necessary."

Garrett pondered; his leather jacket squelched as he walked.

"Aren't they rare?"

"Extremely but human athletes and humans that inhabit high altitudes have acquired such a marvellous taste. But humans these days have such unhealthy eating habits it makes them less attractive."

Garrett placed his hands above his head.

"Tell me about it. Just these junkies, alcoholics and obese people. Don't they know how that affects their blood?"

Garrett shuddered in disgust.

"Anyway, this is probably the last time I can indulge. I'm going to miss human blood."

Marcus acknowledged Garrett's words.
"Is it worth giving up?" said Marcus.
He could not imagine anything better than that.

Garrett lowered his arms from his upper torso, and he pocketed them in his white jeans.
"It sucks but what's not worth giving up for love?"

Marcus agreed with him. When Didyme was alive he would have given her the moon, if it made her happy.

"Uh, Marcus... Master Marcus, could you direct me to my room? Your guards ditched me out here as soon as we were done eating. That, and I can't sense my coven anymore."

He scratched his head, in embarrassment. Marcus shrugged.

"It is on my way. And the cause may be Alec and Ebony. They are most likely dulling our guests' senses for precaution."

Garrett scoffed.

"Master," he said sarcastically. Marcus didn't mind no one really thought of him as their Master anyhow.

"You don't need that you are vampires! Plus, there's thirty-two of you, and only eighteen of us visiting. Not much of a threat and only Kate has a gift. Your whole coven is gifted!"

Marcus could agree to that but if they had been as this cautious Didyme would still be alive. But simultaneously, he could attest, although not to the extent it exerted itself in modern times, there was security personnel at the time of Didyme's murder. So, did it make a difference at all?

He took the guest to his room.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>**********>>>>>>>>>>
As Garrett entered his room the comforting citrus scent that accompanied his vegetarian vampires swarmed him like a full breast did a suckling infant. A warm embrace and a temperate kiss was pressed firmly on his forehead.

"I was about to storm out of this accursed room and take you from that vile eating-chamber if you didn't appear just now," Kate said.

Garrett laughed at his girlfriend's dramatics.

"How are you feeling now Garrett?" said Carlisle.

"I'm satiated. And tell Kate I was safe. Marcus actually was a good host, no probing or unnecessary hovering. He just let what needed to be done be done."