Chapter 12 - Illusion Waltz

Walking around the tower became more free than the restraints and confines of your room. Though you did spend quite some time there, exploring the floors was very exciting.

You had caught a few weird sights like Pietro doing a weird dance in front of his phone. Vision talking to a toaster in a room full of them; guess that's why they kept disappearing every few days... then Nat and Bruce flirting a bit, a small dance shared in the ballroom. Tony was shouting at his coffee machine to stop judging him. Steve and Bucky were a little too close for it to be platonic, Sam snoozing in the corner of that same room. Thor was ageing some sort of meat while Wanda practiced trying to speed up the process before she threw up from the smell.

What was a surprise was how close you got with Clint. The two of you sometimes did some acts in the training room, the hawk becoming somewhat of a brotherly figure.

But today, you would come across no such thing. You were bored but craved a book to delve into. Haven't had a book to read in quite a while, Peter's books not exactly your desire, a new adventure in the comfort of the couch was needed.

"Aha!" You nudged open the oak doors to see a plethora of books. "Friday, my love, my sweet," you coo.

"How may I help you?" She had a hint of amusement in her voice.

"Make me feel like I'm in a royal core enemies to lovers novel," a soft tune comes on making you grin. (Merry go round of life from Howls moving castle)

Humming bits you could pick out, Loki was up off the couch in his little crevice of the library, floors above. Having heard every word you spoke, he was impressed that he enjoyed the music that the AI had played.

A book was taken off the shelf, your fingers flicking through to the first chapter to read an extract.

He saw you pass a shimmer of blue over your clothing to reveal an illusion of a ball gown, not too large yet perfect for a dance. The gown was simple with a tight corset top, elegant and such but as fabric cascaded down from the hem of the bodice, it looked torn and worn. Dirt had accumulated along the dragging pieces yet it didn't look repulsing; a rare aesthetic, in a sense.

Your chosen book was placed down and a figure appeared in front of you, hardly visible, like a ghost of a man.

In front it stood, no particular person, rather a figment from descriptions of the extract you took into account. A simple vague illusion that would suffice to ease the slight boredom. It placed a hand on your waist, pulling you closer before swaying along to the music.

Loki watched with curious eyes at the way your body moved along the wooden floors, his elbows lent on the banister with a small smile at his lips. Your illusion was flawless, perfectly casted, though he knew now you cared not to make the illusion of the character in front of you more vivid.

For a Midgardian, though he meant this less than an insult as he would have before, you were incredibly skilled. He had come across witches of great age whilst accompanying his brother in his youth, touring for help with Asgard during a time of try. These witches were of Midgard, having escaped to Alfheim during the time of Salem on Earth, yet compared to you and the ability you were able to harness, they were no match.

They struggled to cast a simple illusion of a bird, let alone cloak themselves and others.

You were powerful.

He was in awe.

His palms grew weary with nerve. A thought to join you in a waltz crossed his mind lightly, growing the more you danced with a slight absence of passion. Teleporting down between two far bookshelves on the main floor, he changed into his formal Asgardian armor he would normally wear to banquets.

Gliding forward, he clicked to rid the illusion making you jump back. "What-"

"A responsive dance partner would be much better, I think," he took one of your hands in his, the other resting on your waist. Contact against skin and his strong grip on your waist made your face heat up. "Don't you?"

"I can't disagree," you smile, spinning around the large space with him trying to lead only for you to take over. "Though, I'm offended if you think you'd be leading,"

Loki raised a brow before following in your grand movements, the fabric grazing along his armor as he pulled you closer. A smug look plastered his face to hide the slight fondness of having not to lead for once. He enjoyed seeing the broad smile on your lips, copying it when he found the perfect moment to lift and spin you around.

"Not bad," you giggle, clutching his arms before feeling the ground under your heels again. The song ended smoothly and you both parted ways, bowing respectfully and watching the glint of contrasting green and blue fade over one another. "Not a bad partner either,"

"I'm guessing that's the biggest compliment I'm ever getting out of you?" Loki muses, taking a small book summoned from thin air.

"Maybe, maybe not," you shrug before taking the book he held out to you.

"You may enjoy this," that was the last he said before leaving swiftly.

"I might just," You stare down at the book Pride and Prejudice.

~~~

Imagine this actually happening-

Oh, yes, it is 1AM, and no, I'm not going to bed anytime soon x

- Anna ❤️