Chapter One

Chae Yoon's POV

"Halmoni!!!" I warbled at my grandmother who just closed the door of my own room in my not-so-small apartment here in Seoul.

We just got home from the hospital where her long-lost best friend got admitted. I keep on talking to her since we got out of the bus about the absurd engagement they told me inside the hospital room. I still couldn't believe that she just sold her one and only granddaughter's future to her best friend she met again after thirty-two years a month ago. I can't accept it. Never! Never in that pervert handsome man's wildest dream! 

Wait, did I just say handsome?

Okay. Fine! I have to admit it. He is... quite handsome. BUT he's not my type! Especially his annoying personality. I don't know but, there is just so much about him that doesn't suit me. He's so full of himself, and he's an asshole! Is it really normal nowadays to touch someone else's butt in public? Oh, shucks! Thinking about that scenario again makes me want to throw a fist on his face. I hate him! I don't know, but I really do! He woke up the evil silently sleeping inside me the moment we first met. Of all the people I have to encounter that day, why it has to be him? I could still remember how my whole body flared in anger. How he made me feel so harassed and attacked! Who wouldn't? It sent uncomfortable shivers over my skin when I felt his hand got wrapped around my well-shaped sexy ass!

...I knocked again on the door of my room to talk to my grandmother who's now mad because I clarified to her best friend earlier that I don't want to accept the marriage agreement. How could my grandmother do this to me? I know her best friend, Yoo Ohseong Halmoni has been treating me like her own granddaughter since the day I met her, but I'm already thirty-four years old, and I would never let someone decide for me who I want to be with for the rest of my life.

"Halmoni! Jaebal! I don't want to marry that jerk!" I said in a begging tone with full certainty.

"Watch your language, my dear!" It stunned me when she shouted those words behind the door. Her voice was shaky but sturdy at the same time.

I stomped one of my feet while running my fingers through my hair out of frustration... "Ahh! Halmoni! Just ask me any favor, but please, not this one! This is not a joke!"

I heard the doorknob unlocked, so I immediately went in. When I open the door wider, I saw her walking towards my closet, and she grabbed her ancient flowery handy baggage while sneezing. She started packing her things and she seems like a mad housewife ready to run away from home because she caught her husband having an affair. It made me release a deep sigh and marched my feet nearer to her.

"Halmoni... Let's talk." I said as I cross my legs and squat on the matted floor. She's ignoring me, and she still proceeded to put her clothes inside the baggage. I reach for her sidearm and started caressing it... "Halmoni, why are you packing up your things? I don't want you to go back yet to the province."

It led me to quickly lean backward when she glanced at me with glassy eyes. My conscience ruled over me with how her face softens like a baby. My grandmother is really excellent at acting like this towards me, to the point that you would feel like it's already the end of the world for her...

"You really don't want me to see you have your own family before I die?" She closes her eyes before bowing down her head. "My dear Chaeyoon-ah... It's my dream to see you in a white wedding dress walking down the aisle or me to carry my grand-grandchild in my arms before I'll follow your eomma and appa in heaven." My best actress grandmother murmured.

Here we go again. These are the things I always hear from her everytime she'll remember that I'm still single for six years already. I know I'm not getting any younger anymore. Most of my friends have already settled down years ago, and I'm one of those people who always stands alone in every family gathering, high school reunions, and old friend get-togethers. Duh! What's the hurry? I haven't found the right one yet for me. If I'll get married to someone in the future, of course, I want it to be with the person I love. Never in my whole life seeing myself in an arranged marriage since that setup is only essential for wealthy families. Yes, the Yoo clan is one of the known riches people here in Korea, but what about me? I'm just an ordinary citizen serving to uphold the rule of law, respect and protect human dignity and sustain the human rights of all. Phew! Feeling proud.