ch.39

the distance

i opened the barn doors after patting him down, introducing him to the others as we walked in.

"hey" maggie started, stepping to the side, revealing aaron to the others, "everyone, this is aaron."

   i walked behind them, watching the others reactions when their eyes landed on him. daryl quickly raised his crossbow stepping to the opening of the door.

   i grabbed his arm, making his face turn to mine, "it's clear." i whispered, assuring him we were good, earning a nod in response.

   "we met him outside. he's by himself." maggie informed the rest as they pulled their weapons out, unsure of him too.

ricks gaze drifted to mine, tilting his head slightly at me. i shrugged my shoulders, stepping beside aaron.

"we took his weapons and his gear." i stated, causing rick to look away from me and back to aaron.

   i felt glenns gaze from beside me, watching as he inches closer, pulling me away from aaron. i gave him a small smile, knowing he was trying to keep me safe.

   "you said he had a weapon?" rick asked, earning a nod as i motioned for maggie to hand rick the weapon she took.

once he grabbed ahold of it, he checked the amount of bullets before shoving it in the back of his jeans.

   "there something you need?" rick questioned him, raising a brow.

    "he says he as a camp nearby. he wants us to audition for membership." sasha informed, looking to rick, making sure audition was emphasized.

   "i wish there was another word. audition makes it sound like we're some kind of a dance troupe." he started, still raising his hands, "that's only on friday nights"

   we all shot him weird looks as the words left his mouth, causing him to shake his head in embarrassment.

"um, and it-it's not a camp. it's a- a community." he stuttered, looking around at all of us.

   "i think you all would make valuable auditions. but it's not my call." he stated, causing me to step forward.

"who's call is it then?" i gritted through my teeth, causing glenn to pull me back.

   "well, deanna and her daughter. um, my job is just to convince you all to follow me back home." he stated, turning away from my gaze and back to ricks.

   rick shifted uneasily, his eyes never leaving aaron's. "sasha, can you hand rick my pack?" he questioned, turning to face sasha.

   she hesitated before moving to rick, handing him the backpack off her shoulders.

"front pocket, theres an envelope. theres no way you would come with me, just by talking about our community. thats why i brought those, and i apologize for the picture quali-"

   "nobody gives a shit" me and daryl scolded in unison, our heads shot in each other's direction, shooting a little smirk to each other.

   aaron blinked a couple times, turning is head to me and daryl who stood unamused by what he was talking about.

"you're absolutely 100% right." he mumbled, slowly turning back around.

   glenn nudged my shoulder a bit, warning me to try and be nice with his eyes. i threw my hands up, giving him a playful sorry look.

   "our community was first const-" my eyes widened as i turned back to where aaron stood, watching rick throw a punch across his face.
_____________