Chapter 9: Emotionally Unstable

She opens her eyes wide in suprise, but it is replaced by a half empty, half angry look. It's as if those words don't have meaning if they are used together. Her face immediately turns red, but not out of embarrassment, out of sheer anger. She hangs her head down and clutches her fists. "Don't say things you wouldn't do..." She raises her face and tears are running down her face. "No matter how nice you are, no one would do that for me!" I'm pretty sure everyone there could hear her. I could feel her getting more and more exasperated by the second. "I actually believed you for a second..." She lowers her voice. She pulls her elbow back and I lose my grip. She rushes away from the table, not allowing me to grab her again, but I try anyways.

I reach for her and fall out of my chair. I don't even bother getting up. I stay on my knees looking at my shaky hands and I ask myself, did I really mean it? Would I have gone with her if she said yes, and risked "vanishing" for her? The truth is I wouldn't. I made an empty promise that I wish I could take back. Sadly I can't. What's said is said. I can't stop thinking on how she felt. She was so happy for an instant, someone finally said what was on her mind since she drew her first breath, and shortly after that, seeing the lack of determination in my eyes. I let her down just like everyone else in her life.

She is a free spirit, a bird in a cage. She told me once that she'd rather die then spend another unnecessary day in this jail. I look at myself from an external point of view. Oh how pathetic I look. That's all of us, just a bunch of emotionally unstable people.