Chapter 11: In A Heartbeat

Everything stopped. I'm pretty sure my heart did too. I couldn't imagine a world without Jen even if I had only known her for a short period of time. She had so much to live for. I wanted her to be able to see a tree before she died. My mind races and I think a million thoughts in less than a second "If I could, I'd switch places with her in a heartbeat." Where those just more empty promises? I guess it's time to prove if they weren't.

I feel a blast of adrenaline rush through me as I speed towards her like a bullet. I tackle her down and everything turns blank after that. I secure her head as we both fall down. I can hear the sound of flesh being cut in the eternal silence as we both fell. Shortly after I feel a sharp pain in my sides. She had cut me instead. I was happy. She was safe. I completely ignored the pain and picked my head of from the ground.

I was sitting on top of her and the sharp kitchen knife was sitting a few feet away. She struggled to get out, but my weight was too much for her nimble body to push off. "Jen! Calm down!" I tried to make her mellow down a bit, but she struggled for a little bit longer until finally she gave out.

"Why do you torture me?" She lays her face on the ground and looks to the right.

"What? I never wanted to torture you!"

"Well you do... You don't want to help me break out, but you won't let me go alone. You're selfish."

These words hurt, but I don't give a crap. I have to stop feeling sorry for myself. "Jen... I will help you escape!"

"You liar!" She screams now. It's only a matter of time before guards come along and punish us for being here. It hurts to see her act like this. "You're just a liar!"

"Look at me!" I point at my eyes and stare at her with determination. "I might not have been truthful back then, but I am now."

She looks at me and sees my honesty burning in my eyes and she turns away again. "Why are you doing this?"

"Jen..." I hesitate to speak. there are so many things I want to say that I can't put into words, so I gather up all the courage I have and spend it all on my next stunt. I grab her, make her face me. I lean into her pressing my lips against her's.

------------------------------------------------------------
Author's note
I was so excited to publish this chapter!
I was so excited for this chapter I had been obsessing over it all day in school!
I swear as I was writing this part I got the biggest heartache XD and the song complements it perfectly!
Please share with your friends and vote on this story and tell me what you think about it in the comments. I'd really like to hear your thoughts! (No kidding)
~joey