Chapter 21: First Blood

Today Adam woke up with the urge to mess up my life. I mean he always wakes up with that feeling. We had been at war for almost a week now. We had been shooting back and forth, but today he ran the extra mile. He would find any little opportunity to either embarrass me in front of Jen, discretely hurt me when she wasn't looking, and demeaning me subtly.

By the end of the day, Jen probably thought I was clumsy, for all the times Adam made me fall off my chair, weak, for all the times he pointed out my thin arms, and sore for all the time I was rubbing the bruises Adam left. He was the typical high school jock you read about in the books, except he did it when no one was looking.

After the day ended we had a conversation with Adam when Jen left. It was more like a monolog since it consisted of him saying "I'm not too happy about the stunt you pulled the other day. I thought I told you to back off, didn't I?" I was about to answer the question when he interrupted "That's what I thought. If you don't back off now I'll make sure you hurt so bad you won't be able to sleep.

No matter his threats I try to stay calm. I stare at him "You're going to have to do a lot more than that to make me give up." You know this situation would be a lot easier if Jen would just speak her mind and not leave things unexplained. I mean we kissed! All she did in response was hug me and bandage the wound she inflicted on me! I read about something called "the dreaded friend zone" and if I'm doomed to be there so be it, at least I wasn't weasting my time, but I don't know for sure, so I won't do anything drastic.

Who does he think I am? After all me and Jen went through I wouldn't let a bully take me away from her. We were escaping together and Adam or not, we are still making out... I mean making it out!

"If that's all you have to say... then I'll be in my way." I start off to the door.

"I warned you!" He shouts

I stop "This is a war... That was your move, you drew first blood... Watch out for mine."