Chapter 20: Soon

The plan is perfect. Everyone will be so distracted with the hurricane, we'll take that opportunity to make a run for it, over the wall and out to the forest. No one would be crazy enough to run after us and if we set up the fire inside there will be barely any attention on the prisoners outside of the fire. It may still seem risky, but it's the best chance we have.

Not to mention the danger of being right in the middle of a hurricane with only the clothes on our backs.

They say it'll hit in a few weeks, meaning now we have a deadline. At least they say it'll stay over us for a few days. I remember one time a hurricane passed over us. The lights went out for a week, but that was many years ago. They say this one is bigger so we'll use the possible black out as an advantage.

After I was done explaining all the details they were all on board. Our mission was about to take shape. I slam my hand on the table "You guys know what happens if we get caught, right?" I look at their reactions.

They nod. It was an unspoken rule that if you tried to escape you were never heard if again. I didn't want either of them to get caught, as much as I dislike Adam, but we had to make it out no matter what, the risk was less than the reward, Rumor they kill you, but that's all it is, a rumor. It hasn't been proven, but believe me I don't want to be the one who finds out, but at the same time I want to know how my old neighbor ended up.

Now all that's left is getting the materials and finish studying the patrol patterns. We have our work cut out for us. I study the list that has six words written on it.

Lighter
Knives
Books
Blankets
Rock
Key

Jen is spaced out as always, she isn't really the best at planning. She'd be totally lost if Adam and I weren't here, as much as I hate to include his name in that. I see her smiling with a face full of hope, not a care in the world and it forces a smile upon me. I notice that I wouldn't be here if it were not for Jen. I wouldn't be planning an escape, I wouldn't have a purpose in life loved ones, excitement, something to lose. I stare into her lost eyes that stare at whatever she finds interesting.

"We're making it out of here soon, Jen. I promise."