Chapter 32: The End For Me

"Stop spouting nonsense!" I shout over to Adam. "You don't have to do this! We can all make it out of this!"

"We can... But we won't." He continues to push me back, but the fire doesn't allow me to back up any farther.

"Adam...!" His knife pokes me several times pushing me back. "St-stop!"

"I can't let it end like this!" I pull out my knife and push his away. He thrusts his knife at my chest. I dodge to the side and watch him stumble by not hitting his target. I kick his gut making him step back even more.

He coughs "You little brat! Stay still!" He charges at me and knocks me down. My knife falls away from me. "You don't get your situation, do you? There was no hope for you since the start."

My hand begins to feel an intense heat. I notice the room catching fire at an alarming rate. Bookshelves are yielding to the fire that is deteriorating the wood. A burning bookshelf falls on my right arm. I let out a pain stricken cry.

"You really thought you would make it out of here, but people like you don't get to dream like that." I can barely pay attention to him over my right arm being burned. He drags the knife around me leaving cuts all over it. "I didn't want to do this, really. You left me no choice."

None of this makes sense. Why is he doing this? There were other ways to end this. To think he was capable of this... Of murder.

"Remember when you asked me how I got here?" He lifts his knife up. "I didn't answer you... That's because... I was put here because I'm a murderer, I was stuck here for murder!" I kick him off with all my might. He flies over my head and crashes into some burning wood. I reach over to my knife only to see it kicked away by a foot.

"You can't do this..." I say these words, but they have no effect as he picks me up by my collar.

"You don't even know where you are... I hate to break it to you, but this isn't a jail... From the start I knew that this place wasn't a jail... The truth is..." As much as I want him to finish I can't let his opening go to waste. I stab at his arm and he drops his blade and it clinks on the floor a few times.
I dash to the door only to be taken down. Adam's fist comes hammering down on me repeatedly, again and again. I can feel myself drifting away.

"It was nice while it lasted, but I think this is the end for me."