Chapter 2: Unbalanced Dimension

Sixty years later

        Mateo wanted a rest–he did–but the Paperblank Forest needed him. Still dressed in his night clothes, the twenty-one-year-old shuffled over to a tall closet in the corner of his room. Inside, matador-like jackets hung from hangers, as well as tight-fitting pants. The interior smelled like the wilderness, but that was because Mateo was in it so much. At the back of the closet was a mirror.

Mateo cringed when he saw his messy, short black hair. However, he was incredibly handsome. He was the kind of boy every girl at school swooned over. The small, black goatee on his chin matched perfectly with his tanned complexion. His mother said he still sported baby skin because it was so soft. Mateo was in tip-top shape because he had been running around Pinta Country like crazy lately.

He pulled a few jackets from their hangers and piled them in his arms.

His room was homely and cozy. The king-sized bed was in the heart of it and propped up against the wall. Behind it was a window that overlooked Mateo's medieval-modern neighborhood. Not only did cars run up and down the streets, but so did horses and carriages.

Mateo's leather suitcase sat on top of his olive-green bedsheet. Since he just got up, he had yet to make his bed.

He folded each jacket neatly and set them on top of what looked like an orange and black uniform. Afterward, he dragged a small, oval-shaped device out of a silky bag that sunglasses would fit in. It looked like a high-tech walkie-talkie. An antenna stuck out on top of it, and the device's screen was protected by an orange flip-top. It fit Mateo's hand perfectly.

He flipped the top up and pressed a button under the screen. The device turned on, and a map of Pinta Country appeared. Its shape was similar to that of the U.S.A. The tallest mountain was Pinta Mountain. The range took up almost the country's whole middle section. It split Pinta Country into two parts. Next to the map was a drop-down menu that had the options: Voicemail, Missions, Magical Encounters, and Settings.

Mateo zoomed in on the Paperblank Forest. It was a vast blanket of trees that was relatively close to the country's largest port city, Maglin City. A red light flashed deep in it, indicating something was on the move. "Stupid basilisk," the young man mumbled in his deep, Spanish-like accent.

A knock came from his door. It was gentle but also had a bit of force to it.

"Come in," Mateo said.

The door opened, revealing a beautiful, young woman about his age. She also had a tan complexion and black hair, except hers reached down her back. Fear was written all over her face.

"Maria, what's wrong?" Mateo hated seeing his fiancée distressed.

She picked up her white dress and hurried to him. "Mateo, please don't go."

Mateo put the flip top back over his device's screen, slipping it into its bag. He gently took Maria's shoulders and shook them. "I'm sorry, I really am, but I have to." He tried to kiss her, but Maria pulled away.

"No! You've been working so hard lately! What about the wedding? What if something happens?" She and Mateo were scheduled to get married at the end of the summer. "For once, can't you just say 'no?'" Maria snapped. "Or is fame all that matters to you?"

"Hardly," Mateo answered. He shut his suitcase. "Now, will you excuse me? I need to change."

Maria snatched his upper left arm.

Mateo had trouble shaking her off. He ended up dragging her to his closet.

Tears ran down the young woman's cheeks. "Don't do this. Please. Just tell the Union you need a break."