Chapter 32: Petrified

Song: "Prince Caspian Flees" - Harry Gregson-Williams

        Evie and Mateo's family were now regular clients at Paperblank Village's hospital. Evie was certain her family members went there more than the actual villagers. She felt both embarrassed and nervous by the observation.

Only the family members were in the hospital's waiting room: Evie, Keegan, and Charlotte. Ms. Julie took Evie's group members in, saying that what was going on was a "family" matter.

Evie clutched her mother's hands.

Charlotte was brave. She did not cry. She had to be strong in front of her daughter.

Keegan stared into space, lost in his thoughts. Curiously, he didn't even blink. He looked like a statue. Something happened when he saw the white, ghost-like figure at the edge of the village.

Dr. Kato soon stepped into the waiting room, as well as Evergreen. Both people were calm.

Evie, Keegan, and Charlotte stood up.

Charlotte wasted no time. "Well, give it to us, Dr. Kato. Is my sister going to die?"

A small smile stretched across his face. "Of course not, Mrs. Madison. Your sister will be just fine. Evergreen and I put her to sleep, and we're going to keep her like that for a few days so she can rest. Surgery is not necessary." He emphasized by waving his hand. "There is definitely a break in the sternum, but it's nothing that a little rest and over-the-counter pain medicines won't solve." The doctor shrugged. "In fact, we're more worried about the son than her."

"Oh, thank God." Charlotte let out the breath she was holding. She still could not get the horrific image out of her head of her sister bleeding on the ground and Mateo yelling for her.

Dr. Kato's eyes roamed around the empty waiting room. "Where is the son?"

Evie jumped in. "He's at the cabin."

Instantly, Dr. Kato's smile faded. "Alone?"

"No, of course not!" Evie quickly said. "John and Mateo's fiancée are looking after him."

"Okay." Dr. Kato relaxed his shoulders. "Is he still refusing to see a doctor?"

"Yep," Charlotte answered. "Dr. Kato, we don't know what to do."

Keegan scoffed. The cold presence in his head was strong. He crossed his arms. "I have a suggestion. Let's let him die. I mean, that's what he wants."

"Dad!" Evie snapped.

"Well, it is," Keegan fought back. "I'll be much happier once he's out of my life."

Charlotte clenched her fists. "For God's sake, Keegan! The boy is only twenty-one years old, and he just nearly lost his mother! Don't you think you should be taking this a little more seriously?"

Keegan surrendered. He held up his hands. "I don't care about that kid. That child Maria is carrying does not deserve him. Heck, Maria herself just needs to dump him and find another man."

"Dad, you're disgusting!" Evie yelled. "Mateo is family. Why can't you just accept him?"

"Because I don't like the fae," Keegan replied. "The boy's father was a showoff. He spent his days bragging about his 'good' looks and his magic. The fae are notorious for that."

Evie narrowed her eyebrows. "Dad, you're being prejudiced."

He scoffed. "You don't even know what that means." He glanced at Charlotte. "Now, Charlotte, I'm glad your sister is all right, but she should have really picked another man to have a child with."