Chapter 15: Ambush!

Song: "Lord of Chaos" - Peter Crowley

        "Um, he can't talk, right?" Evie rubbed her hands together. She, her family, her friends watched King Benjamin brush his fingers through his horse's long, feathery mane. They stood in front of Paperblank's stable. It comprised of a bunch of small huts clumped together. Behind them was the hiking trail they were going to take to search for Euphorbia. The name of it was Fairytale.

Joey, Ben's noble steed, was a graceful Andalusian. He stood at least seventeen hands and was black all over. He wore an English saddle on his back.

Ben chuckled at Evie's question. "Were you expecting a dork like John?" He gently grasped his horse's muzzle. "'Hi, I'm Joey. I'm just here for the carrots.' Of course not, Evie."

Charlotte held up her hands. "Do you seriously need to bring that mangy beast on the hike?"

"Hey!" Ms. Brook snapped. "I think he is a beautiful animal."

"For your information, Mrs. Madison, Joey and I go everywhere together," Ben answered. He adjusted his white shirt under his chainmail armor. His velvet cape flapped with a sudden gust of warm wind.

John stepped in for his friend. "Not to mention they crossed the whole country when Ben was just sixteen years old. I mean, I did most of the navigating, but–"

"Oh shush, John." Ben playfully flicked his friend's beak. "How many times did I have to save you?"

"Well excuse me," John argued. "Who was the one who got shot by an arrow?"

Evie's eyes widened. "Wait, you were shot with a bow, your Majesty?"

"A crossbow, to be exact," Ben explained. "It was the best moment of my life. Do you want to know why? Because I'm not dead! Now come on. The Green Guardian is waiting." He stuck his left foot in Joey's stirrup and hoisted himself on his back.

The horse grunted. His huge feet stomped the dirt. At Ben's command, he walked through the crowd of people to the trail. He pushed past groups of ferns and climbed the beginning hill.

Ben halted him on its highest point. He looked over his shoulder at his people. "What's the holdup?"

Evie and Mateo exchanged glances with their friends and family members. Something told them the journey was going to be one they would never forget.

***

Sam ended up leading the way because Ben hoped he would remember where exactly he met Euphorbia. Ben and John were close behind him, followed by Evie's party, and then Mateo's. The first part of the hike was flat, wide, and smooth. Trees, bushes, and flowers surrounded the group on either side.

John walked next to Ben. The two friends recalled old memories from their journey.

"Do you remember when the sirens placed you under their spell, and I had to blow them away from you?" John laughed.

"Oh, har, har," Ben replied. "And what about the time you messed up the troll's riddle?"

At the sight of their friendship, Evie sighed. "Why can't we be like them?" she mumbled. Charlotte had not spoken to Ms. Brook–yet alone, looked at her–since the hike began. She was too busy coddling Mateo.

She brushed the dirt off his uniform and demanded, "If you need to rest, let me know."

"Mamá, I'm fine." Yet, Mateo stumbled over a tree root.