Chapter 48: Warrior Princess

The Bittersweet had never seen an ambulance before, so they were curious. They watched its every move. A few children tried to run after it, but their parents held their arms up to them.

Evie, her friends, and her family nodded at one another.

"Well, it looks like it's time to go," Evie said.

"It sure is, Eve," said Charlotte. She patted her daughter's shoulder and said to Keegan, "Come on, Keegan."

"Wait, before you go, take this," Ms. Julie stated before Keegan could hop off the stage. She grabbed his arm to stop him and then nodded at Allister.

The gryphon tapped his feet for the third time. Another bittersweet appeared between them.

Ms. Julie snatched it from the sky. She placed the purple flower in Keegan's palm and curled his fingers over it. Ms. Julie gave his hand a gentle shake. "Take this bittersweet, Keegan, and give it to Mateo at the Guardian's Tree. Currently, this is the closest thing we have to an antidote."

"Ms. Julie, thanks," Keegan said, even though he was a bit bewildered. "Will it help him, though?"

"It should. You accept him now." Ms. Julie smiled to give him confidence. "Go meet the paramedics, and then bring your family back here, including Maria. Crystal and a few of Bittersweet's gryphons will be waiting for you. We need to come up with a battle plan if we are going to break through the undead army's border."

"Got it." Keegan nodded understandingly. He slipped the bittersweet into his pocket. "Thank you again."

"Working together, we will save Mateo," Ms. Julie cooed. "But right now, he needs you guys."

"I know he does." Keegan glanced at Embrose. "Are you ready, Embrose?"

Embrose had to admit... He was a little excited. It had been a good while since he did something good for a change. Nevertheless, it did feel a bit strange not killing for once, but he knew he would get used to the unusual emotion. He was just so used to the hunter's orders.

Embrose pushed those thoughts to the back of his head. Taking a deep breath, he joined Keegan. They faced Evie, her friends, and Charlotte, ready for action.

"Let's go," said the young boy.

***

Ranger Krysta, who stood outside Mateo's tent, waved the ambulance over. She held her walkie-talkie-like device in her free hand. She also noticed that Evie and her party had just appeared over a small hill. They rushed to the ranger and stopped next to her. Everybody was on edge, but they remained brave.

Evie dug Euphorbia's pebble out of her pocket. She closed her eyes and brought it to her forehead. To herself, she repeated, "The Pebble Masters will never shine the same again. Instead, they will regain."

The prophecy had been fulfilled. Evie and her family had regained lost trust with both the magical beings and their family. Now all that was left was for Mateo to become the Green Guardian so the forest could be saved.

The ambulance pulled up in front of the tent, with its lights still flashing. The paramedics/rangers inside moved quickly. They had to. "Operation: Save Ranger Anthony" was in full force.

The vehicle's back doors opened, and two young men appeared on the scene. They wore a cross between a paramedic and Pinta Ranger uniform. The theme colors, as expected, were orange and black. The boots on the medics' feet went up the length of their shins, and their walkie-talkie-like ranger devices dangled from their black belts.