Bonus Chapter 2: In the Beginning

Song: "Dare You to Move" - Switchfoot

Five weeks earlier

        Ms. Brook talked on the phone with Maria for a good thirty minutes. When those two got going, they did not stop. Ms. Brook congratulated Maria and then she said, "Mateo is pretty upset." She had not removed her hand from his back.

He rested his head on her shoulder.

On the other line, Maria said, "I had a feeling. He turned gray when I told him."

"He's asked to spend the night here," Ms. Brook said. "Do you want to come over, too?"

"I'm fine, Ms. Brook. Promise," Maria answered. "Besides, the girls invited me for a girls' night out to celebrate. Mateo needs you more than I do. He's pretty tired, so I want somebody to look after him tonight. I can drop off an overnight bag on my way to the restaurant."

Ms. Brook nodded. "All right. That sounds like a plan. Congrats again, dear."

Maria giggled. "Thank you. I'll be over in ten."

"See you then." Ms. Brook hung up. She returned the phone to its stand. Her eyes rolled over to the broken coffee table.

"I'm sorry about your table, Mamá," Mateo said. "I'll buy you a new one."

"No, it's okay," Ms. Brook whispered. She flicked Mateo's nose, causing him to flinch. "You're more important than a coffee table. I'll clean it up. Right now, let's get you something to eat."

***

Ms. Brook and Mateo were sitting at the dining table eating dinner when Maria came by. She had both her purse and a red and white canvas bag over her right shoulder. She did not see the mess Mateo created because Ms. Brook had covered up the evidence with a cloth–to make it look like she was painting. Mateo's mental health issues were her problem at the moment, not Maria's. She deserved to celebrate her pregnancy.

She stopped at the table and said, "Hi, Mateo." She wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "Are you doing better?"

He took a bite from his chunk of warm ham. "A little," he replied. He and Maria stared at one another for a long while, silent, and then he added, "I heard that the girls invited you out to dinner. Just remember, no drinking. We want to keep this little fella healthy." He again patted her belly.

Chuckling, Maria said, "I won't, baby."

Mateo cringed at the word. Goosebumps popped up on his arms and legs. He slipped the bag off Maria's shoulder and hid behind it.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" she apologized. Maria was scared. Was Mateo really happy for her? No, no, he was. He just needed some time.

He removed the bag from his face. "My bad, Maria. I'm a grown man. I can get through this. Thank you for the bag."

She pointed at it. "There's something in there for you."

Mateo reached inside. He pulled out the dad cap Maria bought. Nervous, he put it on.

Ms. Brook grinned. "Wow. That looks good on you, babe. You wear it so naturally."

"I've got one, too," Maria said. She dug out the mom cap in her purse and set it down on her own head.

"Oh, that's adorable!" Ms. Brook said, clapping. "Wait! I need to get a picture! To celebrate the big day." She released her cell phone from her pocket. She pointed the camera at Mateo and Maria. "Say 'Baby'!"