Chapter 17: The Green Guardian

Song: "Fairy Nightsongs" - Gary Stadler

        Things did not get better when Evie, her friends, and her parents returned to camp.

Keegan broke free from the group. He passed the fire and stopped at Maria, Mateo, and Ms. Brook. Snatching Mateo's hands, he ripped him away from Maria. He forcibly dragged him on the ground–over roots, twigs, and branches.

"Ow!" Mateo yelled. His belly screamed in agony.

"Keegan, stop!" Charlotte shouted.

"Mateo!" Maria said. She glared and hurried to Keegan. Maria shoved him right off her fiancé. "Get your hands off him!"

Keegan toppled onto his backside. He almost hit a log.

Mateo's cheeks puffed out. He reached for his lips.

"Ms. Brook, he's going to be sick," Maria said.

Ms. Brook acted quickly. She pulled another throw-up bag from her pocket and handed it to her son. "Let it all out." Her eyes moved from him to Keegan.

Charlotte started toward her husband, but Ms. Brook beat her to him.

She grabbed his shirt collar and lifted him off the ground. "If you ever touch my son again, you can say goodbye to your teeth!" she threatened. Ms. Brook pushed his chest, knocking him back onto the forest floor.

For once, Keegan looked frightened. He leaned his back up against the log he almost crashed into.

Charlotte did not protest. Even she thought he deserved that. He just tried to move a seriously injured kid. That was one of the stupidest things he had ever done, and it was all because he was jealous. She got down on her knees next to him and clutched his shaking hand. "Keegan, what is going on with you?" she asked. "He's just a kid."

"I don't like him," Keegan mumbled.

King Benjamin tossed himself into the dysfunctional family before any more damage could be done. "What's this all about?" he asked.

Next to him, Joey huffed.

Evie explained the situation. "Your Highness, the Green Guardian is here. We went to find her and stumbled upon an enchanted tree. She told us that Euphorbia only answers to the Fairy Dance, and Mateo, well, he knows it. We need him. The fairy is in that tree."

"You could've just said that!" Maria retorted. She again hugged Mateo close to her.

"I apologize about my husband's behavior," Charlotte said. "It's just... Can we at least try?"

Mateo patted Maria's hand. "It's my mission," he feebly explained.

Maria nervously glanced at him. "But, Mateo, you're in no condition to walk."

Mateo sure as heck tried. He pushed himself to his feet. Instantly, his head spun, and he fell to his knees. He was drenched in sweat.

Evie had to admit, he looked hot with his hair wet. Why was he so handsome? Evie fanned herself with her hand. She inhaled and exhaled several times.

Ben gestured at Joey. "Ranger Anthony can take my horse. He's always willing to carry a fallen soldier. Right, Joey?"

Joey seemed to nod. He had to escort an injured Ben for three days before John finally found a doctor. Therefore, he had no qualms about helping.