Chapter 27 - Mission: Rescue Mateo!

Thebes's hooves banged the forest's bed. The impact agitated Mateo's tummy. He felt the poison swirling like a whirlpool in his belly. It was trapped in his small intestine. Yelling, he grabbed the centaur's shoulder. "Thebes, détente. It hurts."

Embarrassed, Thebes said, "I'm sorry, kid. Let's stop here and rest for thirty minutes." He and Mateo were back in the luminescent section of Paperblank. Aside from the mushrooms, clusters of ferns shimmered just as brightly. The mushrooms' glow touched their green leaves.

Thebes unwrapped his blanket from Mateo. He balled it into a pillow and set it down in front of a log. Afterward, he carefully placed Mateo on the ground. The back of his head touched the blanket.

Mateo whimpered. The pain. He did not want to suffer anymore. Why couldn't his friends just let him die? For the third time since he and Thebes started their journey, he slipped into unconsciousness. He was so still. For a second, Thebes thought he was dead. Thank goodness he wasn't–not yet at least.

Thebes took a moment to look at his belly. He untucked Mateo's shirt from his pants and moved it up to his chest. His injury was one of the worst ones Thebes had ever seen, and he'd seen a lot. The bruising was horrific, as well as the redness and swelling, and now pus gushed out from the cuts where the pebble broke Mateo's skin.

"Oh, Mateo, that's horrible," Thebes whimpered. The tummy injury was ten times worse than the shoulder one. It had obviously not been treated yet. Thebes needed that antidote, and he needed it fast. Mateo was getting weaker by the second. Momentarily, the centaur regretted not letting the humans take him to the hospital. He just wanted to protect him.

Thebes patted his cheek. "I'm not going to let you die. I'm not. Your little girl needs a daddy."

***

Maria returned to Paperblank's inn brokenhearted. She tossed Mateo's bag onto one of the king-sized beds and flopped down on her front. She clutched the silky sheets.

Maria peered up at the picture hanging over the bed's headrest. It depicted a gorgeous view of one of Paperblank's meadows. The trees behind it matched perfectly with the landscape. Maria pictured her and Mateo running through the meadow's different-colored flowers.

Sitting up, she rubbed her eyes. She sat on her heels and lugged Mateo's bag to her. Maria unzipped it. She pulled out his magic rope, some snacks, a few throw-up bags, and his ranger cap. Maria knew he never went anywhere without it and his rope. She dug her hand deep into the bag. Her fingers brushed up against something light–something that felt like paper. It dangled out of Mateo's notebook.

Maria pulled the folded piece of paper out. "Maria," was written on it.

The young woman's body shook. She leaned her back up against her pillows and crossed her legs. The room's AC was running, but she still couldn't help but sweat.

Maria unfolded the note. She had a hard time reading Mateo's messy handwriting, but after a few tries, she succeeded.

Dear Maria,

First, I want to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hurt you. We should have never gone to that banquet. I should have known it would be dangerous, given my addiction. I want to make it up to you. I'm not going to leave you without anything for the baby. I can't watch you handle that stress all by yourself. I'm going to send you home with everything you need for her. Please, give her the life I couldn't give her. Even if I stay, she will never love me as much as she'll love you.

Maria, you are the most beautiful and wonderful woman I have ever met. Isabella will know this the second she lays eyes on you. People like me do not deserve such a gorgeous gift.