Chapter 7: Ranger Anthony

"Wow, is that our cabin?" Ashlynn asked, pointing at the majestic cabin in front of her and her new friends.

Cabin Up Da Creek was the first cabin they stumbled upon after crossing the bridge. Like everything else in Paperblank Village, it was a treehouse. A porch was under it. There was a picnic table and a few benches. To get into the house, people had to hike up a flight of stairs and cross another small porch. The cabin was much bigger than Evie expected. An additional extension with a small room was on top of it. There was a gap in the trees above, so the children could see the sky. The cabin also came with a perfect view of Paperblank Forest's gate.

Mateo answered Ashlynn's question. "It sure is."

Excited, Ashlynn grabbed hold of Evie's arm. She lugged her toward the cabin. "Come on, Evie!"

"Whoa!" Evie stumbled over her own feet. Ashlynn had quite a powerful grasp.

Tate, Amanda, and Emrys stayed close on their heels.

The tweens climbed the staircase, soon finding themselves in front of the cabin's door. Strings of white light were around both it and the windows. There were two rocking chairs on the porch.

The kids tried opening the door, but it was locked.

Ashlynn pushed it with her shoulder. "Heave! Heave!"

"Allow me." Mateo sounded quite amused. He squeezed through his group members and reached into his pocket. From it, he pulled out a golden key.

The children jumped up and down, even Emrys.

Mateo unlocked the door and opened it. Behind the first door was a screen-in.

His group members piled into their home away from home. A table with five chairs sat in front of an enormous window. There were two couches, a small bathroom, a bedroom, a little kitchen, and a loft. Up on the ceiling was a fan. The cabin was the perfect size for six people. Heck, it looked like it was big enough for even a seventh person. As expected, the group's belongings had already been delivered. They were scattered around the table. The children were going to sleep in the loft, but Mateo had been given the bedroom.

Evie and her new friends explored a little.

Ashlynn climbed the loft's ladder and said, "Whoa, Evie! Look at this loft!" The loft was one of the largest parts of the cabin. There were five mattresses in it, as well as another window.

Evie quickly joined her friend on the ladder. "Let me see! Let me see!"

Tate headed over to a chest that was next to one of the couches. He pulled it out and opened it.

Mateo took a seat at the table.

Tate found games and toys in the chest. They included board games and some Legos. "Whoa! Look at all this cool stuff," he said. "There are so many games."

Mateo chuckled.

Evie and Ashlynn glanced down at Tate from the loft.

"We have games?" Ashlynn wanted to know. She and Evie slid down the ladder's steps and joined Tate.

Amanda and Emrys snuck up from behind.

Evie tossed Annabelle onto the couch. She kneeled and started to dig through the chest.

"What do we have? What do we have?" Amanda questioned.

Mateo got up from his chair. Before the children got too comfortable, they needed to unpack. In a kind voice, he said, "Troops."